[netCDF #HNO-635604]: 64bit BE problem in netcdf-4.1.1-rc1

> Ed,
>
> Reading my files works as expected now. Thanks for fixing that. Good to see
> that the sscanf isn't needed at all.

Mathis,

I have been working on your other problems - the mallocs of zero, which are
ignored by my GNU/Linux system (and all the other systems I've tested on), but
cause failures on your systems.

(In spite of the fact that my system silently recovers from this problem, I
prefer the behavior of your system. These are bugs that need to be fixed!)

Fortunately the tool electric fence allows me to find these problems, and they
are occurring in two places: the case you noted with tst_strings, and another
case in which a coordinate variable is defined after a data variable has been
writing with data along that dimension.

I have fixed the string problem, and that is available in the daily snapshot. I
am still working on the other case, which is much more complicated.

I'll let you know when a new snapshot is available that passes all of electric
fence's tests - then you can try it on your system to see if I've missed
anything.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: HNO-635604