[netCDF #QCY-964177]: netcdf - 4.0.1 problems

Jason-
let me make sure I understand your questions.

> sudo ./configure
> sudo make install
Ok, this should have installed in the default
location, which is /usr/local, which means that
there should be programs named ncgen and ncdump
in /usr/local/bin
and there should be at least one library
named libnetcdf.<something> in /usr/local/lib.

> I also did make check and everything seems all right based on make check.
That is confirmation that it compiled correctly.

>is it because of lack of write access that I have for the directory
>/home/snyderjm/Desktop/netcdf-4.0.1?
No, this directory is the one containing the source for netcdf-4.0.1.
When you do "make install", this source is compiled
and then the necessary parts (programs, libraries, headers, and documentation)
are installed in /usr/local/.

>How do I obtain access to /usr/local?
You will need to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH environment variable.
If you do the command "echo $PATH" you can see if it is already there
(I am betting that it is). Once it is in your path, then you
can use the program ncgen and ncdump.
When you compile programs that need to use netcdf, you will
need to specify -I/usr/local/include and -L/usr/local/lib -lnetcdf
on the command line.

> Also how do I access root directory since i have permission denied here.
You should only have write permission denied. But that is why I suggested
you use sudo, since that allows you temporary access to root.

=Dennis Heimbigner

Ticket ID: QCY-964177
Department: Support netCDF