[netCDF #RPP-420427]: memory leak

Huaiyu,

> I just installed the latest netcdf4 snapshot. However, "make check"
> reports unmatched hdf5 library. The system has hdf 1.6.6 installed. I
> installed hdf 1.8.4 under $HOME/share and have configured netcdf with
> the appropriate path. I also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be
> $HOME/share/lib. What else should I do?

Did configure complete OK with no error messages about the HDF5 library?

You shouldn't even have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, "make check" should work
OK without it after a successful run of the configure script.

If you can't figure it out, you can compare your output with the output
from building the snapshot release on various platforms with various
configure options here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/builds/snapshot/

when there is at least one green (OK) build.  I see that currently
its red because we're in the middle of fixing something.

Alternatively, you can send in a more complete report of what went
wrong, as listed here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html

and one of us will have a look at it when we can.

--Russ

> Thanks!
>
> -Huaiyu
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Unidata netCDF Support
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Huaiyu,
> >
> > Memory leaks in both HDF5 and netCDF-4 have been fixed since netCDF 4.0.1
> > was released.  I suggest you get HDF 1.8.4 and use it with either the
> > current netCDF snapshot release
> >
> >  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz
> >
> > or with the 4.1 release, which will be made available soon.
> >
> > You should not have to release memory while running, except that if you
> > are accessing netCDF-4 data of a user-defined type that makes use of
> > netCDF-4 strings or netCDF-4 variable-length objects (vlens), you need
> > to call  the appropriate "free" function when you are done with the
> > data values.  The functions involved are nc_free_string and
> > nc_free_vlens (or the analogous Fortran-90 functions).
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: RPP-420427
> > Department: Support netCDF