[netCDF #JJS-442947]: Error installing netcdf.3.6.3

> Dear Dennis,
>
> sorry, I was not able to answer earlier.
> I would like to specify the problem a little bit closer.
> I am working with WINDOWS XP (Home Edition) Version 2002, SP 3. Having
> CYGWIN installed on it. The system is running on an Intel Pentium 4,
> 2.53 GHz and 1.00 GB RAM. The output of "uname -a" is like:
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 PINGI 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin
>
> I already installed the netcdf libraries for the use of GMT on many
> other machines before and did not encounter any problems at all.
> Probably it is a problem of the PC I am working on but the error looks
> somehow strange. The real story is:
> I now tried to install the netcdf libraries on the the above mentioned
> PC several times and most of the time I ended with a complete breakdown
> of the whole machine. Everything during the installation looks fine
> until e.g. "configure.status" is build. Then the machine slows down and
> after a couple of minutes I only can move the mouse but the system is
> not responding on any mouse click or anything else. I guess it somehow
> fills up the virtual memory in a way that the system cannot react
> anymore. Sometimes this error occurs a few steps after the above
> mentioned point. The only thing I can do then is to kill the machine and
> phyically switch off the machine.
>
> Do you have any idea what this can be and even better how I can overcome
> this problem. I need the netcdf libraries for using GMT in order to
> finish a scientific paper that is already under review.
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards,
> Matthias

Howdy Matthias!

I suspect something is wrong with your path or your cygwin installation.

Sometimes it happens that Microsoft has a utility with the same name as a unix
utility, but which works differently. So make sure your path does not include
anything other than the cygwin directories, and try again.

Try running the "top" command in a different cygwin window to see what
processes are hogging up your machine.

In the normal course of operation, the netCDF configure does not eat up 1 GB of
RAM.

Do you have other machines with the same processor? If so you could try there.

Ed

Ticket ID: JJS-442947
Department: Support netCDF