[netCDF #BAW-622715]: INSTALLATION HELP

Hi,

> Thanks for your reply. according to you i am trying to install
> netcdf-4 but i am getting the error:
>
>   checking whether a simple MPI-IO program can be linked... no
>   configure: error: unable to link a simple MPI-IO application
>
> this error comes when i install Hdf5-1.8.1.

From your previous question, I assumed that you only need to install
netCDF-3, not netCDF-4.  It is much simpler to install netCDF-3 than
netCDF-4, becasue you don't need HDF5 and you don't need MPICH.

If you only need netCDF 3.6.3 (for WRF), then there is no need to
install HDF5, because it is not used by netCDF-3.  Most users do
not need to install HDF5 or MPICH to use WRF, which only requires
netCDF-3, as far as I know.  You can install netCDF-3 either by
using the netCDF-3.6.3 version of the software or by using the
newer netCDF-4.0.1 software and using the "--disable-netcdf-4"
option to configure (or just don't use "--enable-netcdf-4", which
is the same thing).

Do you need to use parallel I/O?  If not, there is no reason to
install an MPI library either, because netCDF-3 does not use the
MPI library.  If you really need to use parallel I/O, then you
should not be building netCDF-3, you should instead be building
netCDF-4 or pnetCDF, as I stated in the previous response.  Is the
mpich2 library you are using needed for WRF?

If you need more advice on whether to build netCDF-3 or netCDF-4,
please see these questions and answers to help users choose
which software to install:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#formats-and-versions

For your remaining questions, I will assume you only need netCDF-3.

> I am attaching mpi library but still this error is coming.

For netCDF-3, you don't need an MPI library.  If you need it for WRF,
then it is OK to have it in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> i am using intel 9.0 and here i am attaching my bashrc file.

You .bashrc file contains lines such as the following, that use
"home" instead of "/home":

export HOME_PATH=home/bin:home/etc:$HOME_PATH
export
WRFPATH=home/asf15076/WRF/WRFV3/:home/asf15076/WRF/WRFV3/external/:home/asf15076/WRF/WRFV3/frame:home/asf15076/WRF/WRFV3/phys:$WRFPATH
export WPS=home/asf15076/WRF/WPS/:$WPS

These look wrong, as usually you have to give absolute directory names,
beginning with "/", in PATH environment variables.  However, that may
have nothing to do with the problems you are having compiling netCDF-3.

> if their is someone error plz give me the right for solving problem.
>
> 1. hdf5-1.8.1.doc
>    It is the config.log file of hdf5

I don't think you need to install HDF5, but if you must install it and
you are having problems with it, then questions about HDF5 installations
should be sent to the HDF Group Helpdesk at "help@hdfgroup,org".  See
this web page for more on HDF support:

  http://www.hdfgroup.org/services/support.html

> 2. bashrc_an

See above for comments on you .bashrc file.

> 3. This config.log file is file of netcdf-3.6.3 installation
>    here i get ipo link error, i remove it by
>    -no-ipo option. but i am gettint one error like this:
>    IPO:ld cannot find: -lstdc++_shared for this problem i am aataching
>    make.log file of this plz tell me sir what i am doing wrong.  Iwant
>    reply soon.  plz, help me.

This error message occurs when trying to test the C++ interface for
netCDF.  You can get rid of it by not building the C++ interface, setting
the environment variable CXX to an empty string

  export CXX=''

before you run the configure script (after "make distclean").  The netCDF
C++ interface is not used by WRF, as far as I know, so you shouldn't need
it.  If you do need it, you will have to make sure your C++ compiler
can compile and build C++ programs and find the C++ runtime library,
libstdc++_shared, which it currently cannot find.

I hope this helps.

--Russ

I think

Ticket ID: BAW-622715