[netCDF #HLH-716928]: NetCDF download

Adela,

> One thing I wanted to confirm with you: any .cdf file exported from a
> commercial software is likely to be written with the netCDF standard,
> and thus the netCDF Matlab software that you mentioned in your email
> should be applicable to any file with a .cdf extension, correct?

Not quite.  First, many netCDF files conform to a particular set of
conventions, in addition to the netCDF format standard.  For example,
the chromatographic data you are using should conform to the AIA/ANDI
standard, which is a set of additional metadata conventions.  Many of
the netCDF files containing data from climate or ocean models conform
to completely different "CF standard" conventions:

  http://www.cfconventions.org/

Some packages deal with generic netCDF files (e.g. the CSIRO
MATLAB/netCDF interface or the MEXNC/SNCTOOLS Matlab interface), and
others assume a particular set of netCDF conventions (e.g. the PMEL
Matlab MexEPS interface or the Mirone MATLAB-based framework).

Also, we have for some time deprecated use of the ".cdf" extension for
netCDF files in favor of ".nc", see:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#filename

Use of ".cdf" by AIA may have preceded our ".nc" recommendation.  The
problem with ".cdf" is possible confusion with a different NASA format.

--Russ

Ticket ID: HLH-716928
Department: Support netCDF