[netCDF #ACN-385459]: NetCDF Format

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  We have been going
> through a bit of an overhaul in our computer system here, so I wasn't
> sure for a while what platform I would be accessing data from.  In
> the short term at least, I would like to process netcdf files from
> linux - not cygwin or anything like that, but straight linux.  I need
> the data from Unidata to drive a model that runs in the linux
> environment, so this would be best for me.  Is that not different
> than running a unix environment under windows from the perspective of
> reading net cdf file in fortran (see previous emails below)?  Thank
> you very much.
>
> Paula Kulis

Howdy Paula!

Firstly it should be noted that the netCDF data files produced will be the same
in all cases. That is, the data format is platform independent.

Under linux, just build the netCDF package from source. Follow the instructions
here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions-for-Installing-NetCDF-on-Unix.html

The configure script will try and guess which fortran compiler you might be
using to write your fortran programs. If you have more than one fortran
compiler on your machine, it might guess incorrectly. If so, set the F77 and
F90 environment flags to the fortran 77 and fortran 90 compilers you will be
using with netCDF.

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: ACN-385459
Department: Support netCDF