20040402: netcdf on Linux+pgf90, f90/test failure

Natalie,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Natalie Perlin <address@hidden>
> Subject: netcdf on Linux+pgf90, test failure

> Our installation of netcdf on PC/linux with Fortran 90 compiler pgf90
> has failed. (However, it does work when using the pgf77 compiler, and
> skipping the f90 part). As we plan to use the numerical model written
> in Fortran 90, which also utilized the netcdf library and binaries,
> I'm don't know if compiling netcdf with pgf77 would be sufficient...
> Please find below the following items (as suggested in INSTALL.html
> file):

> Making `test' in directory /home/nperlin/netcdf-3.5.1/src/f90
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/nperlin/netcdf-3.5.1/src/f90'
> /usr/pgi/linux86/bin/pgf90 -o netcdf_test -O  netcdf_test.f90 netcdf.o
> typeSizes.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> netcdf_test.f90:
> ./netcdf_test
> example_good.cdl example.cdl differ: char 881, line 37
> *** Failure ***
> *** example_good.cdl  Wed Apr  5 12:33:14 2000
> --- example.cdl       Fri Apr  2 11:54:50 2004
> ***************
> *** 34,43 ****
>     953, 954, 955,
>     956, 957, 958,
>     959, 960, 961,
> !   962, 963, 964,
> !   965, 966, 967,
> !   968, 969, 970,
> !   971, 972, 973 ;
>
>    lat = -90, -87.5, -85, -82.5 ;
>
> --- 34,43 ----
>     953, 954, 955,
>     956, 957, 958,
>     959, 960, 961,
> !   950, 951, 952,
> !   953, 954, 955,
> !   956, 957, 958,
> !   959, 960, 961 ;
>
>    lat = -90, -87.5, -85, -82.5 ;
>
> make[2]: *** [test] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nperlin/netcdf-3.5.1/src/f90'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nperlin/netcdf-3.5.1/src'
> make: *** [f90/test] Error 2

Version 5.1 of the pgf90 compiler appears to have a bug in it that
results in this failure.  We are in the process of reporting this bug to
Portland Group.

In the meantime, your options are

    1.  Don't build the Fortran-90 interface.  Go to the top-level
        source directory and perform steps 3 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

        During step 5, set the environment variable F90 to the empty string.

    2.  Wait until Portland Group solves the problem with pgf90.

    3.  Use a different Fortran-90 compiler -- including earlier versions
        of pgf90.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson