Re: 20030722: missing netcdf.inc file

>To: address@hidden
>From: Paul Miller <address@hidden>
>Subject: missing netcdf.inc file

Hi Paul,

> I have downloaded the binary netCDF files for MacOSX
> from
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/binaries.html
>
> but when I gunzip and un-tar the file I found that there
> is no netcdf.inc file in the package. I've done it twice
> in fact, just to be sure, but I'm pretty convinced it's
> missing.
>
> Do you have a version of the file available?

You're right, that binary only supports the C interface because we
didn't have a Fortran compiler for Mac OS X when we built it.  As far
as I know, Mac OS X still doesn't come with g77 and it's not available
in the Developer Tools either.  If I get the version available with
fink (/sw/bin/g77), I'm not sure if that interoperates with the gcc
that comes with the Developer Tools.  If you can recommend a version
of g77 that works with Apple's gcc, I'll try to rebuild the Mac OS X
binary to include the Fortran interface and netcdf.inc.

In case you really only need netcdf.inc and not the Fortran library
for netCDF on Mac OS X, I've also just put it here:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.inc

Also, I just looked in the fink database, and they make available a
version of the package that includes the f2cFortran interface (also
works with g77):

  http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/netcdf

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu