Re: 20010703: UNICOS

>To: address@hidden
>From: Andrew Roberts <address@hidden>
>Subject: UNICOS

Hi Andrew,

> Yesterday, Frank Sainsbury, our Systems Manager, emailed you regarding
> compiling the version 3.5.0 netcdf on a cray SV1, and he has asked me to
> follow up his email.

I haven't gotten any email from Frank Sainsbury.  If it was sent to
"address@hidden", maybe it got forwarded to someone else who
hasn't had a chance to reply yet (July 3 and July 4 were holidays for us).

> He mentioned to you that we were unable to obtain a module file netcdf.mod
> in our library compilation.  Since then, we have noticed in your
> installation notes a comment regarding fixes to the unicos version due in
> the 3.5.1 release.
>
> This email is to request help with getting a fortran 90 version working on
> the cray, since, try as we might, we have been unable to get a working
> netcdf.mod file.  I have recently invested considerable time in an
> archiving routine using fortran 90 netcdf only to find it will not work
> due to the libraries on our Cray.  This has effectively brought my
> modelling work to a halt until the netcdf archiving works.
>
> I appreciate netcdf if freeware, and is thus only available as an as-is
> basis, however I am very dependent on having a working fortran-90 version,
> and do not wish to regress to the f77 version if it can be helped. Should
> you have the time to be able to provide to us a version of netcdf3.5.0
> that will compile on our Cray, your efforts would be much appreciated.
>
> I refer you to your UNICOS notes on installation:

There is a beta test version of netCDF-3.5.1 available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.1-beta.tar.Z

which may fix the problem.  Please try it and let us know of any
problems you run into.  Thanks.

--Russ