Re: 19991228: Some question about install netcdf-3.4

>From: "Peter Hsu" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Some question about install netcdf-3.4

Hi Peter,

>     I have some questions when I installed the netcdf3.4 packages ,
> could you tell me how can I do ?
>
>     First, because I wanna install the GMT packages, and I looked at
> the README and INSTALL file that said I should install the netcdf
> 3.4 or higher packages first, so I connect to your FTP site and
> downlord the netcdf-3.4 packages then I follow the steps that
> written in the README and INSTALL files, but it occures some
> errors,but I don't know what's wrong, so I will attach the error
> message, and would you help me solving these errors?

The error messages in the "config.log" file, which you attached, do
not indicate a problem with your netCDF installation.  As it says in
the INSTALL file:

    The configure script will also create the file "config.log", which
    will contain error messages from the utilities that the configure
    script uses in examining the attributes of your system.  Because
    such an examination can result in errors, it is *expected* that
    "config.log" will contain error messages.  Therefore, such
    messages do not necessarily indicate a problem (a better indicator
    would be failure of the subsequent "make").

If you got errors during the "make" step, please send a description of
the problem together with the items listed at the end of the INSTALL
file to "address@hidden".

>     The next problem is that the netcdf packages need the C++
> compiler,doesn't it? But if I don't have a C++ compiler, what can I
> do ? Can I still install the netcdf packages?

The netCDF software does not require a C++ compiler.  If you have one,
it will build the C++ interface to netCDF, but if you don't have a C++
compiler, the C library and utilities will still be built, which are
what is needed for GMT.  The situation for Fortran is the same:  a
Fortran compiler is not required, but if available the Fortran
interface library for netCDF will be built and tested during the
installation.

--Russ