Re: configuring netCDF: environment variables

Wei Gong,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I try to install netcdf-3.5. But the file: INSTALL is not clear to me.
> In INSTALL, it says:
>
> Select and specify an appropriate build environment.  You will need a
> Standard C compiler (if you don't have one, then you probably won't be
> able to build this package).  Set the environment variables CPPFLAGS,
> CC, CFLAGS, FC, FFLAGS, CXX, and CXXFLAGS (and perhaps LIBS) to
> represent that environment.  The section marked "TESTED SYSTEMS" below
> contains a list of systems on which we have tried to build this package,
> the setting we used, and additional, important commentary (USE IT!).
> Feel free to expand this list.
>
> TO ME, it is not clear how (or where, which files) should "CC", "CLAFGS"
> etc be used before I do the configuration. Is it automatically build or
> not?

The variables CPPFLAGS, CC, etc., are ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES.  They are
set like the following (depending on your shell):

    CC=/bin/c89 export CC

or

    setenv CC /bin/c89

See the manual page on your shell for more information on environment
variables.

--------