Re: 980304: netcdf Linux Installation problems

Michael,

In the above message, you wrote:

>   I logged the standard output and error to configure.log as you
> suggested. Here is the listing:
> -------------------

> checking for m4... m4
> checking user-defined C compiler "/usr/bin/cc"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... false
> checking for /usr/bin/c++... /usr/bin/c++
> checking C++ compiler "/usr/bin/c++"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/cc -E
> checking user-defined FORTRAN compiler "g77"... works
> checking for FORTRAN .F compiler...
> checking if FORTRAN compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to FORTRAN routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for FORTRAN "byte"... yes
> checking for FORTRAN "integer*2"... yes

The output from the configure script is OK up to this point.

> checking if FORTRAN "byte" is C "signed char"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "byte" is C "short"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "byte" is C "int"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "integer*2" is C "short"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "integer*2" is C "int"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "integer" is C "int"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "integer" is C "long"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "real" is C "float"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "real" is C "double"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "doubleprecision" is C "double"... no
> checking if FORTRAN "doubleprecision" is C "float"... no

The above output indicates that the configure script couldn't find a
mapping between the Fortran integer types and the C integer types.  This
will make it impossible to build the Fortran netCDF interface and
indicates a severe problem with your compilation environment.

I notice that you used g77(1) as your Fortran compiler rather than
fort77(1) as mentioned in the INSTALL file.  We don't have a working
g77(1) on our Linux system, so I can't duplicate your problem and
diagnosing the problem remotely via a proxy will take considerable time.
(If you can get me a login to your system, however, then I should be
able to set you up in a matter of hours.)

For all the above reasons, may I suggest using fort77(1)?  If you wish
to try using it, then do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF, source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as before.

    5.  Set the environment variable FC to "/usr/bin/fort77".

    6.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string "-Df2cFortran".

    7.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".

    8.  If the above works, then follow the remaining instructions in the
        INSTALL file.

Please let me know what you find or decide.

--------