961030: netCDF on Windows NT 4.0

Dean,

In the above message you wrote:

> I have configured your product, netCDF, to various UNIX platforms. Now I
> would like to configure it for Windows NT 4.0. It says you have done this
> already for Windows 3.51.
>
> I am new to the PC world and I'm not sure what the INSTALL files is telling
> me to do. I did steps 1 and 2:
>
>        1) copy local_nc.gen to local_nc.h  in the libsrc directory
>        2) copy msoftyy.c to ncgenyy.c and copy msofttab.h to ncgentab.h in
>           the ncgen directory
>
> But I'm not sure what the 1st paragraph is telling me to do:
>
> On a Windows NT system:
>
>        The netCDF package has been tested on Windows NT 3.51 using Visual
>        C++ 2.2 and Fortran Powerstation 1.0.  The '*.mak' files provided are
>        for use within these systems.  Build in the subdirectories in the
>        order util, xdr, libsrc, nctest, fortran, ncdump, ncgen.  Before
>        building
>
> When I look in the directory util there is one file getopt.c and NO '*.mak'
> files.
>
> Are the '*.mak' files used for the Windows NT system or the MSDOS system or
> both?
>
> I'm not sure how to build the netcdf.a library as well.

Unfortunately, we don't have any experience building the version 2
netCDF package on a Windows NT system.  The stuff that you've seen was
contributed by others.

We have, however, built the version 3 netCDF package on a Windows NT
system.  If you only need the C interface, then I recommend that you try
this new version (it uses the same file format as version 2).  You can
obtain it, and pre-built versions for Win32 systems from the `What's
New' link on the netCDF homepage:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html

If you need the version 2 package installed under Windows NT, then tell
me and I'll see what I can do.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>