960430: #include<netcdf.h>: problem building on FreeBSD

Keith,

In the above message you wrote:

>       I have below the results of you request.  One problem though; I'm
> not sure what exactly to do with the 3rd request.  I've done the first two
> with no problem.
>
> >     1.  Edit the script `config.status': add the command `set -x' just
> >     after the line that comprises the symbol `UD_EOF_CONFTEST_C' --
> >     this will be just before the build of the file `conftest.c'.
> >
> >     2.  Execute the script `config.status'.  Trap all it's output and send
> >     it to me.
> >
> >     3.  Execute the `conftest' build command manually (It will have
> >     been printed out).  See if you can determine why it isn't
> >     getting built.
> >
> > >   (5) the config.log file
>
> output from (2)
>
> creating Makefile
> creating xdr/Makefile
> creating libsrc/Makefile
> creating fortran/Makefile
> creating cxx/Makefile
> creating ncgen/Makefile
> creating ncdump/Makefile
> creating nctest/Makefile
> creating doc/Makefile
> creating port/master.mk
> creating port/Makefile
> creating libsrc/local_nc.h
> libsrc/local_nc.h is unchanged

Odd.  There's no `expanding includes in ...' lines.  Looks like the
configure script is having *severe* problems.

Tell you what.  I just finished porting version 2.4.2 of the netCDF
package to a BSD/OS 2.1 system.  It too had problems executing the
configure script -- specifically in compiling the utility to perform the
expansion of the `include' directives in the makefiles.  I suggest you
get the latest version and try building it.  If FreeBSD is anything like
BSD/OS, then the problem might already be solved.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>