[IDV #WZI-324925]: Outdated SREF Precip data

Greg,

I apologize for the delayed response.

After looking at the SREF models on the motherlode TDS, I didn't see variable
accumulated precipitation. What model was it in? Do you have a sample file that
has it? If so can you send it or reference it for me.  I looked at some of my
older SREF models files and I didn't find it those files either. Yesterday,
there was a notice about SREF models that I'll include.

Robb...

 The Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) has proposed an upgrade to the Short
Range Ensemble Forecast system (SREF). The model changes include: 1. Three of
the four models used in the SREF (NMM, ARW and RSM) will be upgraded in model
version (NMM and ARW from WRF V2.0 to WRF V2.2 and RSM from V2003 to V2008)
and increased from 40/45 Km to 32/35Km in horizontal resolution.  The upgrade
and increased resolution significantly improve the performance of each
individual member.  For example; reducing the temperature bias for WRF members
and adding more spatial detail.  As a result, better behaved probabilities are
also achieved by increasing forecast sharpness for the ensemble as a whole. 2.
Increase of WRF membership (NMM from 3 to 5 and ARW from 3 to 5) and reduction
of ETA membership from 10 to 6 (members N3, N4, P3 and P4 are removed) 3. More
physics diversity by switching from Zhao Cloud Scheme to Ferrier Cloud Scheme
in 3 out of 5 RSM members. 4. Forecast output, GRIB, frequency will increase
from 3-hourly to hourly for the first 39 hours. 5. Four new aviation products
will be added to ensemble products, mean and variability:      Icing
Clear Air Turbulence            Ceiling           Flight Restriction 6. Three
new products will be added to the individual member output for some members:
      PBL Height, Richardson number = 0.25            Simulated composite
reflectivity            Echo Top, =18.3DBZ 7. Each SREF member BUFR output
will be broken out into individual station time series.
*Near real time parallel data:* Beginning Monday, September 28, 2009, a
consistent parallel feed of data will be available at:
FTP: ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/sref/para
HTTP: http://www.ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/com/ofs/para
We will make the model output available for 15 days starting Monday, 28
September so that end-users of the SREF data can verify that no unforeseen
changes have been introduced.

Any comments on this proposed change will be appreciated. Any feedback
you wish to provide during the evaluation period should be emailed to
address@hidden prior to 16 October, 2009.

The Environmental Modeling Center, EMC, has a publicly available website which
can provide users with more information concerning the SREF:
http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mesoscale.html

Thanks

Dan Starosta

Ticket ID: WZI-324925