[McIDAS #USW-595984]: 20200416: GLM imagery / McIDAS / CoD processing

Hi Mike,

re: v2020a distribution

> I installed it on both my dev environment and the new server VM.
>
> Only one small issue installing in my dev environment, mcunpack needs to be
> updated to reflect 2020a.  I see I could have passed that in rather than
> editing the script, either way thought you should know.

I updated the 'mcunpack' script to accept a command line parameter and
use it to supersede the default.  Given your note, it seems that I should
update the script to _require_ that the user specify the version to unpack.
This is easy enough, so I will attend to it soon.

re:
> On the VM, however, I ran into the same build issues we had before.  Per
> your previous sleuthing & emails and some diffs on those files, below are
> the changes I made.  The build ran fine after that.

Very good.

re:
re:
> mcar.sh, line 97: change ar_l=l to ar_l=
> mccomp.sh, line 601:  set to      fcopts="-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic
> -fno-range-check -ffixed-line-length-none -fallow-argument-mismatch
> -fallow-invalid-boz"
>
> It would appear those changes did not make it into the 2020a release.

After our previous interactions, I attempted to update the various scripts
that McIDAS uses during a build to support both older and new compilers,
but I ran into a snag -- the older compilers do not understand/support the
flags that are needed for the newest ones, so simply including the needed
flags caused failures on systems with older compilers (like my development
environment).  I have not had the chance to figure out what additional
logic can be added to the scripts to make things work, and since I have
not yet spun up an Ubuntu VM development environment, I do not have a system
that I can readily test changes on.

re: guidance on useful min/max values for the GLM products

> I only just started working with the L3 FED data, I'm making some notes and
> I'll get back to you when I have more.

I really appreciate your input!

re:
> I also want to test at least TOE and MFA, but as I haven't made those
> before it'll take me longer to get you some feedback on them.

OK, gotcha.

re: the problem with mapping data values that range over several orders
of magnitude to BRITness

> Noted, thanks.

Ticket ID: USW-595984
Department: Support McIDAS