[McIDAS #KFB-284893]: Converting units in satellite data

Hi Carol,

re:
> Is there a way to plot feet instead of meters for the GOES-16 L2 cloud top
> height product? I don't see anything in SU, IMGDISP, or IMGREMAP that
> suggests converting units.

You can create a stretch table that the level as FT instead of M.
It doesn't covert the unit in the calibration, however.

re:
> As a note, meters is what is available via IMGPROBE.

Yup.  What is being returned is the unit suggested/mandated in
the ICD that describes the product.

From the calibration include file (abincalb.inc), the mapping between BRIT and
CTH [M] is:

    0 -   0
19812 - 255

Given this, the mapping between BRIT and CTH [FT] would be:

    0 -   0
65000 - 255

So, the stretch table should be created using:

SU INI L2-CTH X FT
SU MAKE L2-CTH 0 65000 0 255

List out the stretch table using 'SU TABLE':

SU TABLE L2-CTH
BREAKPOINTS STORED IN TABLE : L2-CTH.ST
INPUT       OUTPUT
-----       ------
 0             0
 65000         255
CALIBRATION TYPE  :
CALIBRATION UNITS : FT
BAND NUMBER       : -1
INTERPOLATION TYPE: LIN
SU: DONE

Notice that I did not specify the 'type' in the 'SU INI name type unit'
invocation.
This means that the stretch will work with any calibration type.

Please give this a try and let me know if it is what you are looking for.

Ticket ID: KFB-284893
Department: Support McIDAS