[McIDAS #KXA-733353]: GOES 16/17 datasets on adde.ssec.wisc.edu

Hi,

re:
> The GOES 16/17 datasets (NPGOESR, NPGOESS, RTGOESR, and RTGOESS) aren't
> working on adde.ssec.wisc.edu.  In the Satellite>Imagery chooser of both
> the IDV and McIDAS-V, these datasets are listed in the Dataset dropdown
> by default, but they error for various reasons.  For example:
>
> adde.ssec.wisc.edu/RTGOESR/GOES 16 CONUS 0.47um:
> No images satisfy selection criteria
>
> adde.ssec.wisc.edu/RTGOESS:
> Error at "Connect" that the dataset isn't found on the server
>
> adde.ssec.wisc.edu/NPGOESR/GOES 16 CONUS 0.47um:
> ADIRSERV failed on exec of abisadir
>
> adde.ssec.wisc.edu/NPGOESS/GOES 16 CONUS 0.47um:
> No images satisfy selection criteria
>
> I think I remember in the past someone mentioning that the GOES 16/17
> datasets would be added to adde.ssec.wisc.edu.

Correct.

re:
> Is this still in the
> plans to get them added/working?

Yes, but some infrastructure things have to happen before we can start
moving the GOES-16/17 GRB L1B and/or NOAAPort-distributed L2 imagery
to unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu (aka adde.ssec.wisc.edu, idd.ssec.wisc.edu):

- we need to configure a machine with significant memory and horsepower
  to take over the IDD relay function that unidata2-new is currently
  providing

  This is relatively high up on our list of things to do since the
  LDM queue on unidata2-new is not large enough to hold 1 hour of
  data, and this situation would only get worse if/when we start
  sending it all of the GRB products (SATELLITE feed) and NOAAPort
  satellite products (the revamped NIMAGE feed that I sent a notice
  out about earlier this week).

- more memory is needed in unidata2-new

  Even after IDD relay duties are transferred off of unidata2-new,
  we still need RAM to unidata2-new.  The reason is the same as
  the first bullet above - the LDM queue is not large enough
  to hold enough data (e.g., 1 hour) so that duplicate products
  received will be rejected.

re:
> I see they aren't listed on the
> Unidata ADDE Servers page
> <https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html>.

Correct, they are not listed because the data is not there... yet.

re:
> If
> they will be added, is there a rough timeline of when this would be
> done?

Sometime this summer, hopefully sooner than later.

re:
> We currently default to using adde.ssec.wisc.edu in McIDAS-V and
> we can change to adde.ucar.edu it this won't be done relatively soon.

When updating the set of ADDE servers in McV, I strongly suggest also
adding lead.unidata.ucar.edu.  I try to keep the datasets served by
ADDE on adde.ucar.edu and lead.unidata.ucar.edu in lock step.

Ticket ID: KXA-733353
Department: Support McIDAS