[McIDAS #PXP-840815]: Re: Problem converting to netCDF with McIDAS

Hi Greg,

re:
> I'm not sure if this message got into your help queue - I didn't get an
> automated response back like I usually do.

Hmm...  Ah Ha, I see why it was not driven into our inquiry tracking
system - the size of the message with the attachment (13644390 bytes) exceeded
the 2M limit that our inquiry tracking system imposes.  We received the
message, and it got put into the pipeline that forwards it to our inquiry
tracking system, but it did not get into the inquiry tracking system due
to its size, and this is the reason that you did not get the auto response.
Mystery solved...

re:
> > We created a bunch of GOES-13 netCDF files using McIDAS several years
> > ago for users who wanted to work with netCDF. I'm attaching one of those
> > files here.

I've got the file named g13.2015155.0200.nc.

re:
> > The problem we can't figure out is why most of the latitudes
> > and all of the longitudes are zero.

OK.  Nothing jumps to mind immediately.

re:
> > In our script we are doing a remap2 to get the area file into a
> > projection using a template (created from an imgremap):
> > `remap2.k $area $template`;

What is the projection used in the template?

re:
> > then doing an IMGCOPY to save things as netCDF
> > `imgcopy.k MYDATA/IMAGES.$template MYDATA/NCDF.$dest SIZE=$size UNIT=$unit
> > BAND=$band`

OK.  Did you check to make sure that the AREA file created by 'remap2' was
viable (meaning that you could display it, draw a map on top; and the
image features looked reasonable/correct)?

re:
> > What are we missing in terms of computing the latitudes and longitudes
> > correctly at each pixel?

I don't know off hand.  It would be helpful if you provided the exact
procedure that you used and one original image so that I can try and
work through the procedure exactly was you did, so I can see what, if
anything, is wrong.  It might be easiest if the original image and
the  AREA file created by 'remap2' was put in a directory that is
accessible to me on typhoon.

Ticket ID: PXP-840815
Department: Support McIDAS