[McIDAS #LNI-722589]: Cyclone Location Finding

Hi Sohail,

re:
> I am facing problem while finding tropical cyclone locations in the ADDE
> datasets. I tried to search in different ADDE servers available on UNIDATA
> website but when I looked for the cyclone location like currently, we have*
> KAI-TAK *and *TEMBIN *tropical cyclones on West Pacific, I found an error
> that required location is not present in the image.

That is correct.  The ADDE datasets that we host are basically located over
North America, so tropical cyclones over/near Eastern Asia would not be
possible.  There are two images, however, provides global coverage by
combining (using IMGREMP) images from a variety of geostationary platforms,
GOES-East, GOES-West, Meteosat, and Himawari.  Those images are available in
the RTIMAGES:

RTIMAGES/GLOBAL-IR
RTIMAGES/GLOBAL-WV

NOTE:

- the RTIMAGES dataset holds real-time data, not archived data

  This means that if you are looking for something that happened
  more than a few days ago, you will not find it as the images
  would have been scoured off.

We maintain a short term archive of the images we distribute in the
UNIWISC feed of our Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system on the
machine:

https://unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu/uniwisc/

This website is user name/password protected:

user: unidata3
pass: unirec7

Currently, the set of days of images that were delivered in the UNIWISC
feed goes back to July 1, 2017.  SSEC provides an archive for those
images going back a number of years, but the global IR and WV composites
only go back a few years.  One can send a request to SSEC to restore
images that have been removed from the website, and they will do so
if the images requested are in their archive.  Lots of folks use this
service to grab older images (via wget, curl, etc.  There is not an
FTP server), store them locally, and create their own ADDE dataset
(the images are of type AREA) on their own machine(s).

Here is a reference for how to get access to the archived UNIWISC
images:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data -> Satellite Data
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#satellite

    Archived data access:
    https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#archived

      UNIWISC IDD Datastream
      https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

re:
> For example, i search for the above cyclones on GINIEAST  by just
> displaying the corresponding lat lon, that I found on the net, but it says
> that this location is not present.
>
> IMGDISP GINIEAST/GPN4KIR DAY=17354 TIME=09:00:00 BAND=4 LATLON=8.3 -129.7

The GINIEAST dataset contains satellite image sectors from GOES-East.
GOES-East's coverage does not extend to the Pacific.

re:
> 1. Is there any easy way to find the cyclones on the data set quickly?

No.  The best thing for you to do is to:

- find the date and approximate location of cyclones of interest

- request that the global composites for those days be restored
  to the UNIWISC archive explained above

  OR

  Sign-up for access to the full SSEC Data Center archive and see
  if there are images that cover the location and time of the
  storms you are interested in.

re:
> 2. How will I know that which dataset i have to query to find the required
> cyclone?

As I noted above, the only images that we have that cover your part of
the world are in the RTIMAGES/GLOBAL-IR and RTIMAGES/GLOBAL-WV data
sets.  The SSEC Data Center has FY2G and Himawari images in their
comprehensive archive.

re:
> 3. Is there any method to query through lat lon for the cyclone?

Not in the way that I think you are asking about.  The best thing is
to do your homework to find out where and when cyclones of interest
occurred, and then go get images that cover the times/locations
for those storms.

Ticket ID: LNI-722589
Department: Support McIDAS