[McIDAS #CNA-970101]: METEOSAT 10 Imgcopy problem

Hi Heather and Mary Ellen,

re:
> I have attached one time step of files from EUMETSAT.  They are full disk,
> and quite large, so I sent them tarred and zipped. I could only include one
> IR image and the two Visible images due to size constraints on NGC email.
>
> Just do
>
> tar xjvf EUMETSAT_20140306082743.tjz
>
> to retrieve individual bands.

Thanks!

re:
> I have also attached McIDAS screen captures of what I am seeing when I
> look at Visible Bands 1 and 2, just in case you are for some odd reason
> seeing something different than we are!

I am seeing something completely different than you.  I have included
FRMSAVE captures of IMGDISP displays of each of the bands you sent:

DSSERVE LIST NGM10

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
NGM10/IR120              IMAGE AREA                  EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 IR120
                                                     IMAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN

DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MS
                                    G15-0100-NA-20140306082743.IR120
NGM10/VIS6               IMAGE AREA                  EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 VIS6 I
                                                     MAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN

DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MS
                                    G15-0100-NA-20140306082743.VIS6
NGM10/VIS8               IMAGE AREA                  EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 VIS8 I
                                                     MAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN

DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MS
                                    G15-0100-NA-20140306082743.VIS8
DSSERVE: done

SF 1
IMGDISP NGM10/VIS6 LAT=0 0 MAG=-5 REFRESH='EG;MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL'
FRMSAVE 1 Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743_VIS6.gif

SF 2
IMGDISP NGM10/VIS8 LAT=0 0 MAG=-5 REFRESH='EG;MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL'
FRMSAVE 2 Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743_VIS8.gif

SF 3
IMGDISP NGM10/IR120 LAT=0 0 MAG=-5 REFRESH='EG;MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL'
FRMSAVE 3 Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743_IR20.gif

As you can see, these images load correctly for me using Unidata McIDAS-X
v2014.

The question now is if there is anything new in v2014 that is allowing
for correct display of the images you sent in your .tjz file?  I will
have to reconstitute a v2009 build and run the tests from it to answer
this question.

re:
> As for NESDIS, we are getting our data from 140.90.213.163.  I know
> that they are moving the SATDISP servers next month.  We had to get new
> permissions from our gov't customer to stay on their list!

Very good.  Like I said in one of my previous emails: I used to have full
access to all of the ADDE servers that NOAA/NESDIS operates, but I let
my access slip last May/June.  I need to renew these!

re:
> As for this question of yours:
>
> "Question:
>
> - was she doing a IMGDISP of the image that was copied
>
> - or did she try to do the IMGDISP from the remote server; then do
> an IMGCOPY to a local dataset; and then do the IMGDISP of the image
> just copied?
>
> I ask to make sure that the problem is not somehow related to the
> script doing the copy (I do NOT expect that this is the case, but
> I have to rule out any possibility)."
>
> The answer is BOTH!  If I do an IMGDISP directly from the remote server I
> have no problems seeing the visible imagery.  It is only when I IMGCOPY
> and then IMGDISP that copied image that I can no longer see the visible
> imagery.  Very weird.

Yes indeed, very weird.

FYI: here are the DSSERVE invocations I used to create the output dataset
I used for the 3 bands you sent:

DSSERVE ADD NGM10/VIS6 AREA
DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743.VIS6
 TYPE=IMAGE "EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 VIS6 IMAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN
DSSERVE ADD NGM10/VIS8 AREA
DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743.VIS8
 TYPE=IMAGE "EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 VIS8 IMAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN
DSSERVE ADD NGM10/IR120 AREA
DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/NG/Mcidas_MSG3-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20140306082743.IR120
 TYPE=IMAGE "EUMETSAT METEOSAT-10 IR120 IMAGE FROM NORTHRUP GRUMMAN

re:
> Please let me know if you have any further questions.  I am sending
> you 08:15 UTC, because it should be daytime at this time over the FD.

Good choice.

re:
> Thanks for your help!!

No worries.  I will send a follow-up note after I reconstitute a v2009 instance
of McIDAS-X and run the same tests in it.

Ticket ID: CNA-970101