[McIDAS #JZQ-518534]: McIDAS

Hi Angel,

Long time no hear!

re:
> I no longer work at the University of Miami and have relocated to
> Asheville, NC and working for Otis Brown again.

I knew this already, but I can't remember how I knew this... it was
either something that Otis said in an email, or a comment made by
folks at RSMAS that you had left and joined Otis.  Big change, huh? :-)

re:
> We've had an LDM system
> running for a little while but now Otis wants to set up McIDAS just to
> generate GOES images for the web. Do you think that's the best way to do
> this?

If your organization was affiliated with a university, then we would
be able to allow you access to Unidata McIDAS.  Since I am not sure
that you are so affiliated I have to ask: is your organization part
of or strongly affiliated with a university?

re:
> I have an IDV batch script that does that but when I run it on a
> headless computer with XVFB it takes about 5 minutes to generate the
> JPEG file.

Hmm... there is definitely something wrong if it takes that long to
create a single JPEG file.  One IDV user in China (Chinese Meteorological
Agency in Chengdu, Sichuan) is generating something like 1000 images
every ten minutes for their web presence.

Please send us your IDV script so we can take a look to see if there
is something amiss.

Ticket ID: JZQ-518534
Department: Support McIDAS