20040920: port 112?

>From: address@hidden

Hi Tony,

>Our IT folks installed a wireless network in the Science building over
>the summer, and they have it configured to block almost all ports
>including 112.  As is clearly stated in your FAQs, ADDE servers use
>port 112.  I've asked them if they would open 112 and they say at this
>point, no - too much of a security risk..
>
>So they asked me to ask you if 112 is the only available port?

McIDAS ADDE currently uses 3 ports: 112, 500, and 503.  It is moving
to the use of a single port, 112.  That transition should be finished
within the coming year, but we don't know exactly when.

Port 112 is registered with IANA as a McIDAS data transmission port.
Unidata registered the port over 10 years ago, so it has been known
for quite some time as a McIDAS related usage.  This is the reason
that SSEC agreed to migrate to its use.

By the way, I don't see how opening port 112 would be too much of a
security risk _if_ your machine configuration is setup for McIDAS
ADDE use only.  Can you ask them to explain their reasoning?

>Thanks,  Tony

Sorry for the hassles!

>From address@hidden  Tue Sep 21 11:41:53 2004

Thanks Tom.  I'm going to forward your response to them and see if they
can be more flexible.

Hope all is well,

Tony

Anthony A. Rockwood