20040728: problems with SSEC GUI

>From: Joe Barrett <address@hidden>

Hi Joe,

>After upgrading from the 2003 to the 2004 version of McIDAS at FSU, we've
>had problems starting the GUI program.  Trying to start it either crashes
>the program,

Meaning that both the 'mcimage' and 'mctext' windows die?

>or GUI never starts up.

Hmm...  I just started the SSEC McIDAS GUI and have been exercising lots
of features from it without seeing any problems.

>The MCGUI program and command mode
>appear fine.  We weren't experiencing any problems with the 2003 version.

Does the v2003 version still work?

>When doing the upgrade, I skipped the optional section on checking the
>functionality of McIDAS, in case that is important.

No, none of the tests suggested had anything to do with testing either
of the guis.

>We are running McIDAS
>on a Sun SPARC, running SunOS Release 5.8 in the Common Desktop
>Environment.

OK, thanks.  What compiler combination did you use to build v2004 (version
numbers would probably be helpful)?

>In the terminal window we get the following:
>
>mcimage: X Error:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>mcimage: Request Major code 4 (X_DestroyWindow)
>mcimage:   ResourceID 0x4800001
>mcimage:   Error Serial #327
>mcimage:   Current Serial #334
>mcimage: X Error:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>mcimage: Request Major code 4 (X_DestroyWindow)
>mcimage:   ResourceID 0x4800001
>mcimage:   Error Serial #335
>mcimage:   Current Serial #338

OK.  This would happen if the TclTk stuff failed.

>In the Command Mode display window, we get:
>Error in startup script: bad window path name ".toolBarFrame1" while
>executing
>"pack .userDefinedButtonFrame -in .toolBarFrame$TBUserButtonFlag -side top
>-fill (procedure "TBToggle" line 30) invoked from within
>"TBToggle" (procedure "TBInit" line 20) invoked from within "TBInit      "
>(file "/export/home/mcidas/lib/gui/GUIMain.gui" line 2125)

I am not seeing anything like this.  Would it be possible for me to logon
to your system to do some in-depth troubleshooting?