20040127: Problem building McIdas2003

>From:  Greg Stossmeister <address@hidden>

Hi Greg,

>I'm having trouble installing the latest version of McIdas on our
>system here. I've followed the installation notes and am at the point
>where I am running  'make all -VENDOR=-g77'.

That should be:

make all VENDOR=-g77

>Everything seems to run
>fine for awhile and then I reach :
>
>Making `all' in /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf
>make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf'
>make[4]: Entering directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf'
>Making `libjpeg.a' in /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf/jpeg
>make[5]: Entering directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf/hdf/jpeg'
>c -o jcapimin.o jcapimin.c
>make[5]: c: Command not found
>make[5]: [jcapimin.o] Error 127 (ignored)
>c -o jcapistd.o jcapistd.c
>make[5]: c: Command not found
>make[5]: [jcapistd.o] Error 127 (ignored)
>.
>.
>.
>and so on.

This shows me that you have an environment variable misdefined.
I would be willing to bet that you have the CC Unix environment
variable defined as 'c' when it should be defined as 'gcc' or
'cc'.  Since I am assuming that you are building on Linux, I
am including the set of environment variables that you should
have defined:

CC=gcc
CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
CFLAGS=-O
FC=g77
FFLAGS="-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
CXX=

>     I also noticed the following message earlier on:
>
>make[2] Leaving directory '/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/netcdf'
>Not making 'f90/all' because no FORTRAN-90 compiler

In this case, you should also include the following environmnet
variable definition:

F90=

A blank definition for F90 will tell configure to not
build the F90 interface for the netCDF.

>    Can you help me figure out what's going wrong?

Note that after you define the above environment variables,
you should do a 'make clobber' from the McIDAS source
directory:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make clobber

<define needed environment variables>

make all VENDOR=-g77

>Thanks,

No worries.  Please let me know if the above doesn't get you
going again.