20030905: McIDAS v2003 compile

>From: Tim Alberta <address@hidden>

Tim,

>Not sure if you're still around, but I came across this during the
>compile:
>-----------------
>cd ../zlib && make
>make[1]: Entering directory `/pub/mcidas/mcidas2003/zlib'
>cc -O -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran  -c -o example.o example.c
>/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
>make[1]: *** [example.o] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/pub/mcidas/mcidas2003/zlib'
>make: *** [../zlib/libz.a] Error 2
>------------------

For some reason it looks like this portion of the build was attempting
to use /usr/ucb/cc instead of gcc.  This will fail since /usr/ucb/cc
is not an ANSI C compiler.

>And it stopped.  I'm not sure what it's telling me here... there is a
>libz.a in /usr/local/lib (part of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) but it looks like
>it's trying to create one here...

McIDAS builds its own Zlib library.  It is failing in this portion of
the build.

>I'm probably wrong, but let me know if you have any ideas.

Is there any way I can login to your machine remotely?  This would let
me snoop through the code and find out what went wrong.