20030820: FW: ualist

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Hi Randy,

>See below..Can you provide an alternative to the problem. I need to print
>out listings of every sounding in CONUS with both man/sig data listed.

Barry is, of course, correct in pointing out that LAT, LON, ST, and CO
are not keys in a significant level upper air file.  A PTLIST shows this
nicely:

PTLIST RTPTSRC/UPPERSIG.2
Row :      1  Col :      1

DAY         =   2003232 CYD         | TIME        =         0 HMS         |
TYPE        =      SIGT             | CMAX        =      4585             |
IDN         =     89009             | P3          = _missing_             |
P1          = _missing_             | P2          = _missing_             |
Number of matches found = 1
PTLIST: Done

Since both mandatory and significant level data will be listed when you
specify the upper air station IDN in a UALIST invocation, your
objective can be met by writing a small script that first gets a list
of all available RAOB sites in the CONUS and then runs UALIST for each
site in the list.  Unidata McIDAS contains a routine I wrote, MKRAOBID,
that generates a list of RAOB sites that are reporting in a given ADDE
dataset:

HELP MKRAOBID
MKRAOBID -- Create ASCII file containing RAOB station information
MKRAOBID input outfile

Parameters:
   input      ADDE dataset name/group.pos or ASCII file containing
              a list of RAOB station IDNs, one per line
              (def RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND.0)
   outfile    output ASCII file of RAOB station information (def RAOBID.DAT)

                (def= -90 90)
   LON=       Lower Right (LR) and Upper Left (UL) longitude extents
                (def= -180 180)

--------------

The format of the output file created by MKRAOBID is as follows:

01001 ENJA   Jan Mayen                NO   70:56:00    8:40:00    10
01004 ENAS   Ny-Alesund Ii            NO   78:55:00  -11:56:00     8
01028 ENBJ   Bjornoya                 NO   74:31:00  -19:01:00    16
01152 ENBO   Bodo Vi                  NO   67:16:00  -14:22:00     1
01241 ENOL   Orland Iii               NO   63:42:00   -9:36:00     0
01384 ENGM   Oslo / Gardermoen        NO   60:12:00  -11:05:00    20
01400  ----  Ekofisk                  NO   56:32:00   -3:13:00    46
01415 ENZV   Stavanger / Sola         NO   58:53:00   -5:38:00     0

Your script could run MKRAOBID to generate a file of stations reporting
data and then read through the list to get the station IDN (the first field
in the MKRAOBID output) and use it in individual UALIST invocations:

UALIST 01001 12 2001274 ANA=NO DAT=ARPS/DATA.3 ARPS/DATA.4
UALIST 01004 12 2001274 ANA=NO DAT=ARPS/DATA.3 ARPS/DATA.4

Naturally, your script would contain only the IDNs for CONUS RAOBS.

If it were me, I would write a Unix shell script (e.g., SH, CSH, or
Tcl) to do the work.  I would redirect the output from the UALIST
invocations to a single file so that the result would be virtually
exactly what you are looking for in a single invocation.

Please let me know if you have further questions...

Cheers,

>thanks,
>Randy Alliss

thanks for both suggestions.