20010626: MCIDAS ADDE server problems

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

Christian,

>I have problem with my ADDE server installed on io.sca.uqam.ca
>It was working fine 2 weeks ago. I had defined a dataset ME7/VIS ME7/IR1 to
>hold meteosat images.
>
>Now, I get (I have put only the relevant info output):
>
>% dataloc.k
>Group Name                    Server IP Address
>--------------------         ----------------------------------------
>ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
>
>% dsinfo.k
>
>stdin: not in compressed format
>    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: ME7

This typically means one of two things and will show up when the client
application has the MCCOMPRESS environment variable set:

o somehow the application compress can no longer be found in the PATH for
  the remote server; this is set in the file ~mcidas/.mcenv

o the data/directory for/in which a dataset is defined can not be found

>% imglist.k ME7/VIS
>Image file directory listing for:ME7/VIS
>stdin: not in compressed format
>imglist.k: done
>
>Any idea why? Telnet to the mcadde server is working fine.

I verified your observation by doing a 'DSINFO I ME7'.  To see what may
be happening, I EXITed my McIDAS session; undefined the Unix
environment variable MCCOMPRESS; restarted a McIDAS session; and then
reran the DSINFO invocation.  Here is what I get now:

DSINFO I ME7
DSINFO: cannot chdir to /io/mcidas/mcidas/data: No such file or directory
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: ME7
DSINFO -- done

So, it looks like the directory /io/mcidas/mcidas/data either no longer
exists (and your dataset files were specified to be in this directory
through a DSSERVE invocation) or it is no longer readable by 'mcadde'.

If you repeat the undefining of MCCOMPRESS, remember to redefine it
after you find/fix the problem with /io/mcidas/mcidas/data.

Tom