20000202: McIDAS problems (cont.)

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>(I had to abandon this message yesterday before it was complete...more
>appended now) I would like to try and get my local text server wroking
>properly.

I logged in a little while ago, and tested things again.  For some reason,
the TEST server is now working correctly!  Things like:

SFCRPT CA 1
SFCRPT KDEN 24
etc.

all work fine when pointing to your machine.  I have no explanation for
this.

>I recall this STRTABLE deal you mentioned. Does this have
>anything to do with my text server?

Nope.

re: STRTABLE continually getting recreated
>I moved this file again yesterday and noticed today that it was created
>again at 12:30 pm today (19:30Z). I looked in ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log and
>the NLDN2MD file seems to have something to do with it, i.e., it seems
>to get created every time the NLDN2MD runs.
>
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: Starting Up
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: changing to directory /data3/xc
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: NLDN2MD -- BEGIN
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: PRODUCT CODE=LD          200003
> 2     192400
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: nldninput(): Product header rec
> ord found
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: Appending to MD file: 72
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: nldninput(): EOF on stdin
>Feb 01 19:30:01 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: NLDN2MD - Flash events in file:
>  4030
>Feb 01 19:30:03 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: NLDN2MD -- DONE
>Feb 01 19:30:03 vortex.sjsu.edu nldn2md[9412]: Exiting

The PostProcess NLDN.BAT run from the routing table does set strings,
but the way things are setup on your system should have this PP BATCH
invocation use the copy of STRTABLE that is "valid" (i.e., the one
pointed to by the user 'mcidas') should be the one in ~mcidas/workdata.

>I can text by :
>DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU

You can also now do it by:

<as 'mcidas'>
DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT LOCAL-DATA

or

DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT VORTEX.SJSU.EDU

I verified this locally on your machine and remotely from my McIDAS-X
session here at Unidata.

>Any my upperair data has been incomplete. EG when I plot SKEWT 72493 it
>says sounding unavailable and when I look at the SF9-F1 'sounding
>availability' there are not many sations. But when I do DATALOC ADD
>RTPTSRC ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU then I see all the sounding data and can
>plot them. Is this an LDM probelm? I've asked my upstream sit UCLA if
>they have all the mcidas data and they confirm that they do. (Today I'm
>on my failover Arizona)

I have a patch to an XCD routine that I will be putting in an Addendum
in the next couple of days (I have been accumulating a number of changes
that will also be in the Addendum, so I have been waiting for my
release).

>So, I would like to get the data locally if possible. Any ideas?

I will install the patch on your code to get you going.

>Oh, one more thing. For kicks I did DATALOC ADD RTNIDS
>ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU....wow!

Yes, NIDS data is very cool.

>Is this unauthorized,

No, this is unfortunately not authorized.

>what is the policy.

This is a no-no.  Consider yourself admonished to not do it again (please).

>I guess I here the NIDS data will be public in September.

Yes.  The NWS plan at this moment is to unencrypt the NIDS data that is
on NOAAPORT.  At this point, my NIDS ADDE server will work with those
data (it was working on the NOAAPORT NIDS files before encryption was
turned on, so barring a change in format, it should still work after
encryption is turned off).

So, please don't access the NIDS or NOWRAD data from our server.  What
you can try, however, is taking a peek at the GINI imagery in NOAAPORT:

DATALOC ADD RTGINI ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
DSINFO IMAGE RTGINI
IMGDISP RTGINI/GW1KVIS STA=KLAX MAG=1 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP X 5
COUNTY=ALL;MAP H 1 WID=2)

Since the ADDE.UNI... server is not an operational machine, I can't give
you carte blanch access to the box (I can shut off access with the simple
edit of on file).  I am in the process, however, of developing the GINI
ADDE servers so that Unidata McIDAS sites can access the full GINI imagery
stream at one or more cooperating server sites that has the full NOAAPORT
complement of products.  Let me know what you think of the GINI stuff.

>Thanks,

I just brought over the patched RAOB decoder file, m0rabdec.for and
remade the RAOB data monitor (runs the upper air decoder):

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.6/src
mv m0rabdec.for ../origsrc
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
 quit
pushd ~/workdata
decinfo.k SET DMRAOB INACTIVE
<wait until a 'ps -eaf | grep DMRAOB' show no DMRAOB process>
pushd
make dmraob.k
pushd
decinfo.k SET DMRAOB ACTIVE

The datastream has been full of numerous upper air stations reporting
abbreviated soundings.  The mods to m0rabdec.for takes this into account
in producing decoded upper air output.  Please let me know if your
upper air stuff starts looking better (after 0Z tonight).

As far as /data3/xcd/STRTABLE goes, I will continue to look for the culprit.
This may require that I stop and start the LDM several times, so beware.

Later...

Tom