20000118: MCIDAS NLDNPLT command error (cont.)

>From: Michael Voss <<address@hidden>

Mike,

>>o the definitions for MCTABLE_READ and MCTABLE_WRITE in ~mcidas/.mcenv
>>  are incorrect.
>>
>>  You have:
>>
>>  MCTABLE_READ="${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/export/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>>  MCTABLE_WRITE="/export/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>>
>>  They should be:
>>
>>  MCTABLE_READ="/export/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
>>  MCTABLE_WRITE="/export/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
>>
>>  This may seem incorrect, but the idea is that these should point to
>>  files that do NOT exist.  The reason for this is to circumvent a
>>  circular definition that could occur when using the McIDAS ADDE
>>  remote server.
>>
>>  The definitions for users other than 'mcidas' would have MCTABLE_READ
>>  and MCTABLE_WRITE set like what you have currently.
>>
>>o while on the subject of the McIDAS ADDE remote server, the entry for
>>  the user 'mcadde' in your /etc/passwd file should have the default
>>  shell set to be '/bin/false'.  This means that the 'mcadde' account
>>  is not a login account.  This is important for security reasons.

>I completed those steps you mentioned above, and what would you know, it all
>seems to work just fine.

I took a quick look and see that you had not changed the items that
related to setting up the McIDAS remote ADDE server.  Even though you
might not be using this facility yet, you will in the future.  The
changes are small; take little time to do; and only have to be done
once.

The first two changes are included at the beginning of this email.  The
next change requires that you edit the ~mcidas/data/LSSERVE.BAT file
and change the AREA numbers for various data sets (e.g.,
RTIMAGES/MOLL-IR, RTIMAGES/MOLL-WV, RTIMAGES/GW-VIS, RTIMAGES/GW-IR,
and RTIMAGES/GW-WV).  As I read the entries in your routing table, the
modifications you need to make in LSSERVE.BAT will look like:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/MOLL-IR      AREA 5400 5423 "Mollweide Composite IR
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/MOLL-WV      AREA 5300 5323 "Mollweide Composite H2O
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GW-VIS       AREA 5200 5225 "GOES-West Western US VIS
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GW-IR        AREA 5000 5024 "GOES-West Western US IR
DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GW-WV        AREA 5100 5124 "GOES-West Western US H2O

After editing LSSERVE.BAT, you make the mods active by running the following
from a McIDAS-X session run as 'mcidas':

BATCH LSSERVE.BAT

>Thanks for your help, I'm really glad you logged on
>and exposed some serious problems which, left unresolved, were sure to bite me
>in the %#@A! at a future date.

No problem.  Glad to help.

>The SYSKEY and ROUTE.SYS have always been a bit confusing for me.

Yes, they are less than obvious (to say the least).

>And, thanks for letting me make the changes, that helps
>me learn (slowly) how this thing works.

OK.

One more thing: I noticed from the routing table that you were at one
time running ROUTE PostProcess BATCH files to produce composite imagery
(GOES-East/West and topography composites).  These are currently not
active, but I don't know if that is by design, or by accident.  Since
they were working, I assume that you know how things work.  I did
notice, however, that the Bourne shell script, batch.k, had not been
copied to the ~ldm/decoders directory (to accompany mcscour.sh and
xcd_run which are already there).  To setup this processing again, I
recommend:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd decoders
cp ~mcidas/bin/batch.k .
<edit batch.k and set MCDATA, etc. like you did in mcscour.sh and xcd_run)

Since ~ldm/decoders is in ldm's PATH, and since entries in
/data3/mcidas/ROUTE.SYS have been setup, then creation of the composites
should resume.

>Cheers,

Talk to you later...

Tom