19991123: Building UNIDATA McIDAS-X 7.60 (cont.)

>From: Rene Lobato <address@hidden>

Rene,

>I talked with the system administrator and he mentioned me that he set up a
>firewall recently. He will allow external conections from tomorrow on. You
>may try to logon from then on. Also I will leave the machine connected
>during the weekend.

We found out this evening that we could rlogin to your machine even though
telnet was blocked.  I logged on and began troubleshooting your problems
shortly after we discovered this.

>I am very sorry too, but this learning process is taking more time than
>expected. Beginning of year 2K we will use a very good internet highway so
>we are anxious in using the UNIDATA database.

Here goes.  The major problem that I found with your system was that
the version of f2c (and f2c.h and libf2c.a) you had loaded was not one
that works correctly with RedHat 6.x Linux.  In order to get things
working, I:

o logged on as 'mcidas' and FTPed versions of f2c that I make available
  for RedHat 6.x Linux users:

  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user>
    <pass>
    cd unix/760/fortran/RedHat6.0
    bin
    prompt
    mget *
    quit

o became root and installed the new f2c files:

  su -
    <pass>

  cd /usr/local/bin
  mv ~mcidas/f2c .
  chown root f2c
  chgrp root f2c
  chmod +x f2c

  mkdir /usr/local/include
  cd /usr/local/include
  mv ~mcidas/f2c.h .
  chown root f2c.h
  chgrp root f2c.h

  cd /usr/local/lib
  rm libf2c.a                     (it was a link)
  mv ~mcidas/libf2c.a .
  chown root libf2c.a
  chgrp root libf2c.a

o went back to being 'mcidas'

  exit

  I set PATH in .cshrc so that /usr/local/bin came before /usr/bin so
  that the new copy of f2c would be found and used.  I also moved
  /usr/sbin:/sbin to the end of the PATH declaration.  Lastly, I
  verified that you had set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .cshrc so that
  /usr/local/lib came before /usr/lib.

o edited .cshrc to comment out the definition of CXX and then

  unsetenv CXX

  This is not needed anyway.

o cleaned out all of the files generated from previous build attempts

  cd mcidas7.6/src
  make clobber

o remade McIDAS

  make all

The 'make all' stopped while building the netCDF component of the
distribution.  I found that 'configure' was not creating the
mcidas7.6/netcdf/fortran/nfconfig.inc correctly; I don't yet know why.
To keep things moving, I FTPed the nfconfig.inc file from my RedHat 6.1
Linux machine:

  cd ../netcdf/fortran
  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
   <user>
   <pass>
   cd mcidas7.6/netcdf/fortran
   get nfconfig.inc
   quit

o I then continued with the build:

  cd ..
  make

  cd ../src
  make all

The build went to completion this time.  After the build completed, I:

o installed the code:

  make install.all

At this point, you should pick up with the web instructions for configuring
McIDAS-X.  I would do this, but it would be more valuable for you to go
through it so you get experience.

Please let me know if you run into problems during the configuration.

>Thanks again.

You are welcome.

Tom