19991118: Building UNIDATA McIDAS-X 7.60 no vendor option on makelog (cont.)

>From: Rene Lobato <rlobato@200.13.36.34>

Hi Rene,

I'm back from Australia, so I will be handling your problem.

>We have been trying to install as you said, no success at all. The next
>option is to take your word and letting you guys help us in installing the
>software.

I am more than happy to do this for sites that are struggling.

>But I have to warn you that traffic is sometimes slow.
>
>The IP:                172.16.4.68
>hostame:               cumulus.imta.mx

OK, first problem.  If I do the following, I get a different IP address
for cumulus.imta.mx:

nslookup cumulus.imta.mx
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cumulus.imta.mx
Address:  200.13.36.105

If I do an nslookup on the IP address you provided I get:

nslookup 172.16.4.68
Server:  laraine.unidata.ucar.edu
Address:  128.117.140.62

*** laraine.unidata.ucar.edu can't find 172.16.4.68:Non-existent host/domain

If I try to ping cumulus.imta.mx I get no response.  I figure that the
200.13.36.105 IP address must either be the correct one or close to it
since your email address comes across as rlobato@200.13.36.34.

Can you provide some insight into what the real IP address of your machine
is?  Is it on all of the time?  Can you ping it by either of the IP numbers
above from a different machine?

It strikes me that the machine may have some networking setup problem and
this is the cause of my not being able to get through.  I don't know
what to tell you about the 172.16.4.68 IP address since we can't get to
it in any way.

As soon as I can get to your machine, I will login; do an installation;
and send you the list of things that I did so you can recreate the
installation.

Tom