19990621: more os2/mcidas & solarisx server (cont.)

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

re: what MDX command
>Regarding my earlier message of today, I used the following MDX example
>MDX Z MAP=MID MDF=12 SORT=P 500 DAY=99172 TIME 12   (took it from COMMAND
>section under MDX)

This may be simply a typo in the email, but the MDX command should look
like:

MDX Z MAP=MID MDF=12 SORT=P 500 DAY 99172 TIME 12

(no '=' after DAY).  Also, with the update to McIDAS for Y2K capability,
the select for DAY has changed so that the MDX command will be:

MDX Z MAP=MID MDF=12 SORT=P 500 DAY 1999172 TIME 12

I tried this on waldo, and it works fine.

>and got the No Data Found response.  MD file 12 does exist on
>my G drive, which is where my REDIRECT  FILE  is pointing.

If the '=' after DAY was an email typo, then your only problem was the
change in the data file storage of the DAY key (YYDDD updated to be
CCYYDDD).

>Since writing that earlier email, I went back and looked the section for
>configuring mcidas-os2,
>"Addition Config. Steps..."  and found the section under 'Using McIDAS - XCD'.
>It notes that if i am running xcd for os2 or getting data from another machine
>running xcd, I need to initialize some files and set up my redirect stuff
>using the batch file XCDCLI.BAT.
>I know waldo is running the xcd decoders (pretty sure anyway,) so followed
>the steps.
>
>Created a string XCDDATA using TE XCDDATA "G

I believe that this should be:

TE XCDDATA "G:

(a ':' at the end of 'G').

>Ran the batch file : BATCH"XCDCLI.BAT
>
>Things seemed to go ok, with the BATCH command showing a list of the
>redirected data files, but the BATCH command failed at the end showing:
>
>IDGROUP LIST
>IDGROUP not found
>BATCH: Batch job abandon XCDCLI.BAT
>BATCH: Batch done XCDCLI.BAT

IDGROUP should have been installed with the rest of your McIDAS release.
My question now is what is the version of the McIDAS-OS2 release that
you are trying this from?  This can be answered by typing out the
contents of the c:\mcidas\data\VERSION.TXT file.  IDGROUP.EXE should
be located in c:\mcidas\code.

>This seemed like it might be the answer,

Not really, the IDGROUP LIST line in XCDCLI.BAT creates FASTXT files
for you.  The rest of the BATCH file declares the RTWXTEXT, RTPTSRC,
and RTGRIDS datasets to be local:

DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT LOCAL-DATA
DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC  LOCAL-DATA
DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS  LOCAL-DATA

They are local since the can be accessed on your G: drive.  The good news
with ADDE is that if a DATALOC has not been set for a dataset, then the
dataset is _assumed_ to be local.  Given this, the failure of XCDCLI.BAT
will not have done anything.

>but now have the problem of how
>to get the BATCH"XCDCLI.BAT to run successfully.

We need to find out why IDGROUP.EXE is not in c:\mcidas\code.

>Back to you (or Don).

How about giving me the machine name/IP address/login to the OS/2 box
you are working on (you may have done this before, but I can't find
the information).

>Thanks

Tom