19990614: mcidas-X 7.504 question

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>If it is Tom reading this you might remember my previous problems,
>well, they are fixed; mcidas -x/xcd is running fine now..thanks.

I figured things were working since I was able to look in on things at
SJSU using ADDE (listed and loaded imagery; put put surface
plots/contours; etc.).

>Now I am working on some local modifications to suit our needs. I want
>to have longer satellite loops kept on a regular basis (and accessible
>from the menu) for some of the images, for example goes west IR. So ,
>I've been reading up on ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB trying to figure out
>how the images are decoded, stored, and addressed. It seems like I
>should be able to add entries to ROUTE.SYS, e.g. 'ROUTE ADD U5 AREA
>4500 4548 PP=IR9.BAT SYS=5001 5002 5003 CC=3 "GOES..etc'. I thought I
>better consult before I mangle our system..

Yes, you can do this.  You might, however, want to keep the System Key
Table locations the same as they are now so that Unidata stuff keeps
working (then again, you might not ;-).

>Questions:
>1) am I on the right track here?

Yes.  I think that you have caught on to the one important piece of
information: the output AREA file numbers must be chosen so that there is
no overlap between images of different kinds.  One thing you have to
remember is that you will need to adjust your ADDE data set definitions
to match your changes in the routing system.  For instance, as we
send out DSSERVE.BAT the Goes West IR image ADDE set are defined as:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GW-IR        AREA  130  139 "GOES-West Western US IR

If you change your routing entry to store Goes West IR images in
AREAs 4500-4548, then this entry should be changed to:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GW-IR        AREA 4500 4548 "GOES-West Western US IR

and so on.

>2) can you do more than one thing with a single product in ROUTE.SYS?
>i.e., I want to have a short loop as defined be the standard MCIDAS
>menu and then have a longer one also accessible from the menu. This
>means making two separate AREA files from the same product.

Unfortunately, no.  The products in the UW datastream come in tagged
with a unique product identifier.  There can be one and only one
routing table entry for a particular product.

This does not mean that you can't do what you would like.  I could
envision a ROUTE PostProcess BATCH script that would copy the image
just received into other AREA files whose name space is smaller.  Off of
the top of my head, what I would do is create two ADDE data sets: one
would be composed of images from your long "loop" and the other would
be composed of images in a smaller "loop".  The long loop would already
be defined as RTIMAGES/GW-IR (see comment above).  The short loop ADDE
name could be RTIMAGES/GWIRSHORT (or whatever) and could be defined as:

DSSERVE ADD RTIMAGES/GWIRSHORT    AREA  130  139 "GOES-West Western US IR

Your copy operation in the Route PP BATCH file for product U5 would
look like:

IMGCOPY RTIMAGES/GW-IR RTIMAGES/GWIRSHORT SIZE=ALL

The new image will either write a new image or overwrite the oldest of the
images in the destination data set.  Is this the kind of thing you had in
mind?

>Thanks for any tips you might have,

Let me know if I missed what you were looking for.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Mon Jun 14 16:50:28 1999
Tom,
Per your suggestions below I'm on my way to having my long loops filled
and working, thanks for your help as usual!!
Mike