19990129: resurrecting an overwritten ROUTE PP BATCH file

>From: Angel Li <address@hidden>

Angel,

>After installing McIdas 7.4 some of my .BAT files were overwritten
>and I'm trying to recreate them.

OK.  This may be a good time to put your additions to "standard" BATCH
files distributed with Unidata McIDAS into auxiliary files that are called
by the "standard" BATCH file.  Another approach you could take would be
to copy your modified BATCH files to the working directory of the user
running the PostProcess commands (typically ~mcidas/workdata).  This
approach has the advantage of avoiding an overwrite since the "standard"
BATCH files are installed in the ~mcidas/data directory.

>This is the output of the my previous IR8.BAT:
>
>    BATCH UI 158 97120 103618 1  TWIN=0 "IR8.BAT
>    NORTMAPR 9016 158 9993 N1 L 0 9016 ECHO=N
>    PRODUCT CODE=N1          97120       103915
>    BEGIN AA TRANSFER TO AREA  9993
>    AA DONE  9993
>    BEGIN AA TRANSFER TO AREA  9980
>    AA DONE  9980
>    Virtual Graphic written to Area= 9980
>    REMAP - TRANFORMATIONS COMPLETE..BEGIN DATA MOVE
>    --REMAP DONE
>    Done
>    NORTMAPR: Done
>    GU REST GRAPHIC 1
>    GRAPHICS TABLE GRAPHIC.GRX HAS BEEN RESTORED
>    GU: Done
>    DF 220 1 EC 32 82 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT
>    BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>    Processing completed for frame= 1
>    BAR 1 SU=IRTOPO
>    FRMLABEL C IMA=1 LEV=254 0 "GOES-8 IR/TOPOGRAPHY COMPOSITE (DAY) (JDAY) (H
> HMM) - UNIDATA
>    FRMLABEL: Done
>    SVGIF 1 GOES8IR.GIF
>    Frame saved in /s1/ldm/data/mcidasd/GOES8IR.GIF
>    FRONT GRA=1
>    FRONT --- BEGIN
>    FRONT --- DONE
>    SVGIF 1 G8FRONT.GIF
>    Frame saved in /s1/ldm/data/mcidasd/G8FRONT.GIF
>    OS "/bin/Mail -s GOES8-IR wobb </dev/null >/dev/null
>    OS: Done
>    GOESCOMP NONE 158 9986 C CI N7 SCRAREA=9981 9984 MAP=YES 9019 9970 DEV=NNN
>    DF 289 1 EC 32 100 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT
>    BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>    Processing completed for frame= 1
>    FRMLABEL C IMA=1 LEV=254 0 "GOES-8/9 IR/TOPOGRAPHY COMPOSITE (DAY) (JDAY)
> (HHMM) - UNIDATA
>    FRMLABEL: Done
>    BAR 1 SU=IRTOPO
>    SVGIF 1 GOES89IR.GIF
>    Frame saved in /s1/ldm/data/mcidasd/GOES89IR.GIF
>    DF 289 1 AC 296 602 -2 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT
>    BEGIN TV LOAD PROCESSING FOR FRAME  1
>    Processing completed for frame= 1
>    FRMLABEL C IMA=1 LEV=254 0 "GOES-8/9 IR/TOPOGRAPHY COMPOSITE (DAY) (JDAY)
> (HHMM) - UNIDATA
>    FRMLABEL: Done
>    SVGIF 1 G89IRZM.GIF
>    Frame saved in /s1/ldm/data/mcidasd/G89IRZM.GIF
>    batch.k: BATCH done /s1/mcidas/data/IR8.BAT

This looks like it was modeled after an example on the 'mcdemo'
machine here at Unidata (http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu).

>I'm having a problem with the first argument to the "DF" commands.
>I think they used to be some invokation of SYSKEY but my recollection
>is rather fuzzy.

DF's calling sequence is:

DF areanum frame

So, the first number is most likely a reference to a SYSKEY.TAB value
as you indicate.

If you are using the SYSKEY.TAB setup as we distribute it (i.e. if you
don't change anything from our defaults, then the SYSKEY locations for
the UI product are 2143, 2144, and 2145, which correspond to the
beginning cylinder number of the set of GOES-8 IR images, the ending
cylinder number of the set of GOES-8 IR images, and the current
(most recently received) GOES-8 IR image.  The display of the
most current image, would then look like:

DF #SYS(2145) 1

The correspondence between product numbers and SYSKEY locations is
defined in the McIDAS file routing table.  You can review the
table to see which SYSKEY entries are used by which products using
the McIDAS ROUTE command:

from within a McIDAS session that has a REDIRECTion pointing to the
copy of ROUTE.SYS that is being updated by the ldm-mcidas decoders
run:

ROUTE LIST <pcode> FORM=ALL    generic invocation
ROUTE LIST UI FORM=ALL         invocation for the GOES-8 IR product

The defaults we send the distribution out with are also listed
in an easily digestable form in ~mcidas/data/PRODUCT.DAT.  Here
is a snippit of that file:

 McIDAS Product Codes and System Key Table entries used for Menu System
 -------+--------+------------------------------------+---------------------
  Code     Type    Description                         SYSKEY.TAB words used
 -------+--------+------------------------------------+---------------------
   CI      AREA    GOES-8/9 Infrared Composite             2161 2162 2163
   CV      AREA    GOES-8/9 Visible Composite              2164 2165 2166
   CW      AREA    GOES-8/9 Water Vapor Composite          2167 2168 2169
   LD      MD      NLDN Lightning                          2051 2052 2053
   MA      MD      Hourly surface MD                       2001 2002 2003
   N1      AREA    GOES-8 IR/Topography composite          2125 2126 2127
   UI      AREA    GOES-8 North America Infrared           2143 2144 2145
   UM      TEXT    Administrative Message
   UR      AREA    Research floater                        2107 2108 2109

>I'm also having the same problems with VIS8.BAT.

The GOES-8 VIS images are product code UV.  The SYSKEY values used are
2146, 2147, and 2148.  The meanings of these entries is the same as I
indicated for the GOES-8 IR product above.

>Any help is appreciated.

Looking at the listing of previous ROUTE PP invocations, I see that
you are creating composites of topography and VIS/IR images.  The
NORTMAPR command (second line of your listing) is compositing the
GOES-8 IR image with topography and calling the new product N1.
N1 products by default are stored in AREAs 220-229.  The SYSKEY.TAB
entries used for product N1 are 2125, 2126, and 2127.  So, the
DF command (line 16 in the listing) is most likely:

DF #SYS(2127) 1

A ROUTE listing should quickly tell you which AREA numbers are related
to which products.  A detailed ROUTE listing for an individual product
will tell you the SYSKEY.TAB entries are used to store information.
From this, you can determine the DF command line.  Here is my
reading on what the BATCH file probably had for DF invocations
(sequentially following your listing above):

>    DF 220 1 EC 32 82 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

DF #SYS(2127) 1 32 82 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

>    DF 289 1 EC 32 100 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

DF #SYS(2157) 1 EC 32 100 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

>    DF 289 1 AC 296 602 -2 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

DF #SYS(2157) 1 AC 296 602 -2 SF=NO EU=TOPOSAT

I hope that this helped.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Mon Feb  1 14:58:16 1999
I'm back in business, your advice was right on.
Thanks, Angel