[LDM #OYI-925913]: LDM 6.13.17 build failure

Hi Gilbert,

I wanted to jump in with a comment before Steve or Stonie replies, but I just
saw the reply from Stonie go out.  The following has a bit more information
than Stonie's note, so I hope that it is helpful.

I logged onto bird01 a couple of days ago when I was making the rounds building
LDM v6.13.17 on machines that I have SSH access to, and I tried the build, and
got the failure you are reporting.  The reason for the failure is the C++
compiler
that is installed does not provide/support C++ v11, and that is required to
build
the current release.  In my testing, I found three machines that had build
failures
because of this:

bird01.allisonhouse.com
leno.unidata.ucar.edu
mistral.climate.lsu.edu

All three of these machines are still running CentOS 6.10, and, as you know,
CentOS 6.10 was end of life(ed) a couple of years ago.  Notably, machines
running a current version of Linux (like Rocky 8.x that we have been moving
to in-house) do not experience this build failure.  Also notable, the build
failure only occurs when building with the '---with-noaaport- option specified
to 'configure', and this is because of the inclusion of the new 'blender' (to
be renamed) softwware.

The solution?

We will be upgrading the OS on leno as soon as we get a chance.
Unfortunately, the OS will not (can not?) be upgraded on the LSU/Climate
machine mistral.  I think that their ultimate goal is to replace the
machine completely with new hardware and likely with migrating to
a current release of Ubuntu.

What is the downside of not updating to v6.13.17?

As I mentioned above, the new piece of the LDM distribution is the
'blender' software.  The rest of the NOAAPort ingest code remains
mostly (entirely?) the same, so there should be no downside from
not updating to v6.13.17.

I hope that this helps shed some light on what is going on...

> I am trying to compile the LDM using the usual command
>
> ./configure --with-noaaport
>
> And when I do, this happens:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ldm/ldm-6.13.17/src/noaaport'
> depbase=`echo CircFrameBuf.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I..  -I.. -I../grib2 -I../gempak
> -I../zlib -I../log      -I../log -I../protocol -I../protocol -I../protocol2
> -I../protocol2 -I../registry -I../registry -I../protocol -I../pq -I../misc
> -I./retrans -I/usr/include/libxml2 -std=c++11 -g -O2 -MT CircFrameBuf.o -MD
> -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o CircFrameBuf.o CircFrameBuf.cpp &&\
> mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
> cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-std=c++11"
> make[2]: *** [CircFrameBuf.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ldm/ldm-6.13.17/src/noaaport'
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ldm/ldm-6.13.17/src/noaaport'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> [ldm@machineiamon src]$
>
> Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

Ticket ID: OYI-925913
Department: Support LDM