Re: New Client Reply - [LDM !UHO-873587]: Possible bug with 6.13.7 (and previous)

Thanks Gilbert. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:01 AM Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden> wrote:
New Client Reply: Possible bug with 6.13.7 (and previous)

Hi Steve,

On COD’s NOAAport ingesters, and on AllisonHouse’s LDM01, it appears as though that the logging issues fixed in 6.13.9.3 are working as intended.

Let me say something else, too: thanks for the heads up on how to most effectively use primary and backup feeds, and how they are used and done in the LDM. We don’t care about incoming bandwidth, but in the not too distant future, Mike Zuranski at COD may go the route of how we are doing it now. It will be interesting to see bandwidth usage/performance on their end if they implement it.

By doing it the way you suggested, Steve, we have seen a significant improvement in data reception and reliability with our fiber MRMS feed from NCEP as our biggest benefit. By doing it this way (two primary feeds), whenever NCEP in Maryland fails, then it just grabs the data from Boulder. Or, if Boulder is faster, It picks from there, and it does all of this on a product-by-product basis. Therefore, it always grabs the most current data feed with no loss. By doing it the way many do it, including myself when I worked at NIU, and at AllisonHouse until recently, we would experience random data loss. Now we know why: when it switched from primary to back up, you would typically lose anywhere from 1 to 59 seconds of data, pending on when the switch happened. This way, the way we are doing it now is stable,
very reliable, and fast!

I found out through a LinkedIn friend who works at Weather Command/Murray and Trettel that they got their NOAAport up and running with LDM 6.13.8 on a “old” computer. However, they are having  significant packet losses, and I suspect that is terrestrial interference (TI) or an old LNB. That tells me that LDM 6.13.8 is very robust, which I can confirm. The throughput that it can do (6.13.8) is fantastic.

And, thanks again for letting us test this. I can now finally say that, after many years, this is truly the best version of the LDM that I’ve ever used by a mile. Fast, with memory leaks gone, the server load cut substantially, much improved reliability...this is high-end enterprise quality.

Gilbert

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 1:55 PM, Unidata LDM Support <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Gilbert,
>
> ldm-6.13.9.3 is in the beta directory if your interested.
>
> It logs those "filed" messages at the INFO level insteaad of the NOTE level.
>
>> I am testing LDM 6.13.8.5 on one of our heavy duty LDM servers. So far, I
>> see no issues, but I have to wait a day or so before I see if it will shut
>> down quickly. Can you put 6.13.8.9 out for testing?
>
> Regards,
> Steve Emmerson
>
> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: UHO-873587
> Department: Support LDM
> NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

Ticket ID: UHO-873587
Department: Support LDM
Link:  https://andy.unidata.ucar.edu/esupport/staff/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=viewticket&ticketid=30084