[LDM #EBA-558540]: LDM v.6.11.5 compilation failure [Mac OS X v.10.8.4]

Dave,

> This works--thanks!

You're most welcome.

> A couple of comments and questions about LDM v.6.11.5:
>
> (1) "make install" appears to install files in ~/bin, ~/include, and ~/share,
> rather than in ~/ldm-6.11.5/bin, ~/ldm-6.11.5/include, and
> ~/ldm-6.11.5/share, respectively. The latter is what installations of
> previous versions of the LDM have done. In fact, ldm-6.11.5 lacks bin,
> include, and share subdirectories at all, and none are created during the
> installation.
>
> With a previous installation of the LDM in place, ~/bin, ~/include, and
> ~/share are symbolic links to the corresponding directories in ~/runtime, and
> runtime is a symbolic link to the previous LDM installation directory
> (~/ldm-6.10.1 in my case). Hence, "make install" in ~/ldm-6.11.5 installs
> files in the bin, include, and share directories of the previous LDM
> installation. When I finish the installation, I shut down the LDM, remove
> runtime, and reestablish runtime to point to ~ldm-6.11.5. At that point,
> ~/bin, ~/include, and ~/share now point to non-existent versions in
> ~/ldm-6.11.5, and so no LDM executables reside in any path specified for the
> ldm account.
>
> If I shut down the LDM, remove runtime, and reestablish it to point to
> ~/ldm-6.11.5 before compiling and installing, the "make install" step crashes
> because the ~/run, ~/include, and ~/share subdirectories don't exist. (They
> would have to be in ~/ldm-6.11.5/.)
>
> I got around the apparent problem by creating bin, include, and share
> subdirectories in ~/ldm-6.11.5 first, but this doesn't seem as if it should
> be necessary.
>
> I couldn't find anything in the current documentation about this.

Whoa! The LDM installation definitely shouldn't do that! It doesn't here and
this is the first I've heard of it.

I'll investigate.

> (2) When I run LDM v.6.11.5 (like LDM v.6.10.1), messages are logged to
> /var/log/system.log, not ~/logs/ldmd.log. In most previous versions of the
> LDM, I had to edit a system file that specifies where various utilities
> should log their messages, but those instructions are no longer part of the
> LDM documentation (at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.11.5/basics/index.html#installation,
>  under "Installing, Configuring, and Activating the LDM System >
> Preinstallation Steps").
>
> What do I need to do to redirect the LDM's message logging?

Appropriately modifying the system logging daemon's configuration-file is part
of the "make install" -- assuming you gave it root's password. The file
/etc/*syslog.conf
should have two entries:

    local0.none        /var/log/messages

and

    local0.*           ~ldm/var/logs/ldmd.log

where "~ldm" stands for the LDM user's home directory. If these entries aren't
in the file, then something went wrong with the installation.

What operating-system did this occur on? If Linux, is SELINUX enabled?

> -- Dave

> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                        |       ^   ___       \|/     *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~
> ~   ~ ~ *

Ticket ID: EBA-558540