Julie, > Hi Steve. I finally figured out what the problem was. There was an > error in the script that inserted the data into the queue, which > explains why when it was manually inserted it worked fine. Basically the > script called pqinsert with the -q option with /home/ldm/data/ldm.pq, > which I believe was the default location for ldm.pq in an earlier LDM > version. An ldm.pq file existed there (probably why the log file looked > like it was inserting it fine; it was just not the correct queue, if I > understand correctly), but the script should have referenced > /home/ldm/var/queues/ldm.pq, which I believe is the default location for > ldm.pq for this LDM version. I'm glad you figured this out. I didn't notice the 2nd product-queue. Odd that it was there, however. The installation process should have seen it and made the other one a symbolic link. > Things appear to be working now, thankfully. Thanks for your help! > > Julie > -- > Julie Prestopnik > National Center for Atmospheric Research > Research Applications Laboratory > Phone: 303.497.8399 > Email: address@hidden Regards, Steve Emmerson Ticket Details =================== Ticket ID: VLF-828955 Department: Support LDM Priority: Normal Status: Closed
NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the web. If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.