[LDM #UGB-524529]: No LDM server running?

Andrew,

> I am running LDM-6.4.5 on this machine:
>
> hostname:      frtt1.engr.colostate.edu
> os:            Linux
> release:       2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp
> ldmhome:       /home/ldm
> bin path:      /home/ldm/bin
> conf file:     /home/ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
> log file:      /home/ldm/logs/ldmd.log
> numlogs:       7
> log_rotate:    1
> data path:     /home/ldm/data
> product queue: /home/ldm/data/ldm.pq
> queue size:    40M bytes
> queue slots:   100
> IP address:    all
> port:          388
> PID file:      /home/ldm/ldmd.pid
> LDMHOSTNAME:   frtt1.engr.colostate.edu
> PATH:
> /home/ldm/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/usb:/usr/etc:/etc:/home/ldm/decoders:/home/ldm/util:/home/ldm/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>

> I execute the following commands:
>
> ldmadmin stop
> ldmadmin clean
> ldmadmin delqueue
> ldmadmin mkqueue
> ldmadmin start
>
> And on the 'ldmadmin watch' command, I get a message that says there is no LDM
> server running.  Also, my ldmd.log file remains empty.  Maybe there is a
> problem
> with the logging?  I have been looking through the archived help files with no
> success.

Is the operating-system SuSE?  If so, then you might have a problem with
logging.

Here is a predefined answer that explains the problem and contains a solution.
Please
let me know if it's not applicable.

Regarding use of syslog-ng on SuSE Linux:

We believe that SuSE users are not locked into running syslog-ng.  We are not
experts
in anything SuSE, but there are RPMs for syslogd on the SuSE
FTP site.  For example for SuSE v9.3:

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.3/suse/i586/syslogd-1.4.1-537.i586.rpm

Unfortunately, we do not have enough experience with syslog-ng or SuSE
to be able to help get LDM logging working using syslog-ng.  We
recommend, therefore, that sites strongly consider installing and using
syslogd.  If/when you do, you can configure it using the standard directions
available in the Unidata LDM webpages.

Ticket ID: UGB-524529