20051214: LDM - failure building 10G product queue (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Paul,

Mike Schmidt (the Unidata system administrator) talked this morning
about how best to determine if your machine is running 64-bit CPUs.
Neither of us know of a programatic way to determine this (there may be
one, but we don't know what it is).

However, the fact that your system (presumably a Dell) supports 12 GB
of RAM strongly suggests that it is running Xeon EM64T processors.  If
this really is the case, you should strongly consider loading a 64-bit
version of Linux (you run Debian, correct?) on the machine so you can
best take advantage of its capabilities AND be able to build large (> 4
GB) LDM queues.

>From address@hidden  Wed Dec 14 09:39:44 2005

Thanks,

I'm talking to our system admins about suppporting a 64 bit version of linux.
Thanks again for all your help.

-Paul