20030715: ldmadmin scour ignore option?

>From: Chris Herbster <address@hidden>

Hi Chris,

>Couldn't you just "chown" or "chmod" the directories/files to keep the
>ldm user from being able to delete what you want to keep?

The scour script finds all files that are older than the specified
time and then execs 'rm -f'.  The problem with the approach of simply
changing the permission or ownership of the directories you want to
keep is that since you own the directory (most likely), a 'rm -f' will
delete the file(s) even if you don't have write permission.

>Just one who tends to seek simple solutions, though I've been known to
>find the most difficult way to complete a simple task in the past!  (-:

I think like you, tried changing the permission before sending
out my first answer :-)

By the way,  now that I have you on the line so to speak, can I induce
you to upgrade the LDM on updraft.db.erau.edu?  I see that it is
feeding FNEXRAD and UNIWISC data from thelma.ucar.edu, but it is still
running LDM-5, and it is not reporting real time statistics.  Upgrading
it to the current LDM-6 release and having it report real time
statistics would help us out a great deal.

For reference, to report real time statistics, you need to add
the following line to your ldmd.conf file:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

as the last 'exec' line in the file and then stop and restart your
LDM.

I also see that another ERAU machine is still running LDM-5:

supercell.db.erau.edu

Do you have plans for upgrading this machine?

>Cheers,
>
>Chris Herbster
>

>Tom Yoksas wrote:
>
>>>From:  Jared P Bostic <address@hidden>
>>>

>>Jared,
>>

>>>I've looked through the man pages and doc's re: scouring and, having
>>>not found anything, am curious about the following.  Is there a way
>>>to tell the ldmadmin scour utility to ignore certain directories?
>>>

>>Yes.  You configure scouring by setting directories and file name
>>masks in the ~ldm/etc/scour.conf file.  To not scour a directory,
>>simply don't include it in your scour.conf.
>>

>>>In my case, I'd like to keep some case study data in the same directory
>>>as some stuff that needs to be scoured.  Is there a way to tell scour
>>>to ignore something, for example, over a certain age or as listed in
>>>some kind of .ignore pattern action or file (a la CVS)?
>>>

>>There is no 'ignore' pattern, but you can specify a simple regular
>>expression as the pattern for files you do want to scour.  The files
>>you want to keep would, therefore, have to be named so that they don't
>>match the pattern.
>>

>>>Any help appreciated!
>>>
>>>Jared Bostic
>>>OCS/Oklahoma Mesonet
>>>--
>>>----------------------------------------------------
>>>Jared P. Bostic
>>>Oklahoma Climatological Survey Operations Center
>>>Email:       address@hidden
>>>USmail: 100 East Boyd, Suite 1210, Norman, OK  73019
>>>Phone: (405) 325-3231 / Pager: (405) 530-4478
>>>Fax:   (405) 325-2550
>>>----------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jul 16 09:51:02 2003

Hi Tom,

re: scouring
>Nothing's easy, is it?!

>>I think like you, tried changing the permission before sending
>>out my first answer :-)

At least you took the time to test before sending out the comment!  (-:

re: upgrade updraft.db.erau.edu to LDM-6

>I'll do this now.  I'm in the process of rebuilding supercell after a
>disk burp and should have it running LDM-6.xx soon.  It is normally the
>machine that would be doing the IDD stuff and used to report stats.
>Updraft used to feed off of supercell and thats why it isn't set to
>send stats.

re: do you intend to also upgrade of supercell.db.erau.edu