20020920: LDM upgrade

>From: "Benjamin Cotton" <address@hidden>

Ben,

>Right now at Purdue we are running LDM v5.1.3.  I am planning on
>upgrading to the source version of v5.2, however I do not have the root
>password.  Therefore I cannot do the two commands requiring the root
>password.  Our departmental computing staff is pretty busy and may not
>be able to get to it right away for me.

>So my question is: would LDM still run normally if 5.2 is partially
>installed?

No, you should wait until someone there has 'root' privlege before
upgrading.

What you can do in the meantime is download LDM 5.2.1 in source format
and build it.  The two programs, rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog, will still
have to have their owner changed to root and permissions set to setuid
root, but you will be ahead of the game in the upgrade process.  LDM
5.2.1 contains a couple of bug fixes for 5.2, one of which is a
performance enhancer that is important for heavily loaded systems.

Here is how to download LDM 5.2.1 source:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> your full email address
  cd pub/ldm5
  binary
  get ldm-5.2.1.tar.Z
  quit

Instructions for building the LDM from source can be found in links
contained on:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/index.php

For reference, we are not intending to make binary releases available for
LDM 5.2.1.

Also, after you get LDM 5.2.1 built and installed, we are requesting
that you add an additional line to your ~ldm/ldmd.conf file:

exec    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

This should come after the other 'exec' lines at the top of your
ldmd.conf file.  As always, after making modifications to ldmd.conf,
you will need to stop and restart your LDM (not a problem in this
case since you will be upgrading anyway).

LDM back to the UPC.  The stats are then turned into graphs of latency
diagrams which can be found under:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/latency/stats

I always visit the 'Statistics by Host' link available from this page
and look to see how various sites are doing with their feeds.

The other thing that it is advisable to do in your upgrade case is
delete and remake your LDM queue:

ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue

>Thanks,