20011223: LDM installation can't register service under SuSE Linux

>From: "James R. Frysinger" <address@hidden>

Jim,

>I've installed the binary download of LDM-5.1.2 for linux at home and
>it won't start. I've gone over the configuration steps again and cannot
>find a problem.

Did you work your way through:

Preinstallation Requirements
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html

In particular, did you:

Configuring the Operating System as root

     Add the following lines to file /etc/services

                 ldm 388/udp unidata        # UCAR Unidata LDM
                 ldm 388/tcp unidata        # UCAR Unidata LDM

     This allows programs such as netstat to associate activity on IP port 388
     with the LDM.

     Add the following line to file /etc/rpc

                 ldmd 300029 ldm

     This allows programs such as rpcinfo to identify RPC program number
     300029 as the LDM.

     The LDM uses the system logging daemon, syslogd, to write error
     messages by the local0 facility.

         Add the following entries to file /etc/syslog.conf

                local0.debug       /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

         Modify the following lines in file /etc/syslog.conf so that LDM
         messages will not be written to the console

         *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none;local0.none     /dev/console
         *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none;local0.none
/var/adm/messages

     Create the user account called 'ldm' (see below)

     By convention, the LDM home directory should be /usr/local/ldm or
     /home/ldm. If /home/ldm is used then a link needs to be made from
     /usr/local/ldm to /home/ldm, ie

             % cd $HOME
             % ln -s $HOME /usr/local/ldm

If the answer is yes, the next question is whether or not you remembered to
set the setuid bits on rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog?

Make rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog suid root

     Change permissions for rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog to be setuid root. This step
needs to be done as root

             % cd ~ldm/{version-directory}/bin
             % chown root rpc.ldmd
             % chown root hupsyslog
             % chmod u+srwx,g+rx,o+rx rpc.ldmd
             % chmod u+srwx,g+rx,o+rx hupsyslog

>Also, I've compared the installation side by side with
>the installation on 'weather' in case I've made a mistake on
>permissions or links and found no problems that way.

OK, I am betting that the first step(s) were not done/done correctly.
The reason for this is that rpc.ldmd is complaining about not being
able to 'register service 300029 5 tcp 388'.

>Doing 'ldmadmin stop' and 'ldmadmin clean' work, but 'ldmadmin start'
>hangs. The ldmd.log and /var/log/messages both tell me
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric rpc.ldmd[14303]: Starting Up (built: Aug 31
>2000 11:48:33)
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric pqbinstats[14304]: Starting Up (14303)
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric pqact[14305]: Starting Up
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric rpc.ldmd[14303]: Can't register service
>300029 5 tcp 388
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric rpc.ldmd[14303]: Exiting
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric rpc.ldmd[14303]: Terminating process group
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric pqbinstats[14304]: Exiting
>   Dec 24 00:10:30 metric pqact[14305]: Exiting
>
>The pertinent portion of my /etc/services contains
>   ldm             388/tcp unidata         # Unidata LDM
>   ldm             388/udp unidata         # Unidata LDM
>and in /etc/rpc I have
>   ldmd            300029  ldm
>
>I've checked the man and info pages (identical in this case) for rpc
>and it looks like there are a number of scripts, but I can't figure out
>from them what the problem is, though some of them talk about
>registering and unregistering. For example, there's registerrpc,
>svcerr_noprog, svc_register, and a couple of others.

I would go back and start at the web link I list above and work my way
through each step.

>Oh, and back at the beginning of this, I installed SuSE's version of
>csh, namely tcsh, for user ldm. Strangely, it opens OK in csh when I
>log on as ldm but if I 'su - ldm' from my account jim, I have to source
>.cshrc to get into that environment. Either way it seems to act like a
>normal csh since tcsh is just csh with command line editing and a few
>other add-ons.

I can't explain the non-inheriting of environment when specifying 'su - ldm'.
I can say that tcsh is OK to use.

>My last gasp effort was to reboot, in case portmap/rpcbind needed that
>to recognize the new service. No dice.
>
>Can you think of something I can check to see why rpc.ldmd cannot
>register service 300029 for tcp 388? BTW, I have no idea what that '5'
>is all about. Error code maybe?

No, the 5 is not an error code.

You might also try looking through the searchable online documentation

Searchable LDM Web Documents
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldmdocs.html

The following found using 'rpcinfo' as  asearch key looks promising:

Unidata LDM Workshop: LDM and IDD Troubleshooting
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ws/ldm_trouble-pr.html

The next place to look is:

Searchable archives of LDM support
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm.html

and

Searchable archives of ldm-users
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm-users.html

Use 'rpcinfo', '300029', and/or 'registered' as search keys and see
what others have asked and have been answered on this subject.  It is
most likely that the problem you are seeing has been run into by
someone else in the past and has been resolved.  Our online email
archives are very good for reviewing all of the transactions we have
had with sites in the past.

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Dec 25 08:08:53 2001
>Subject: Re: 20011223: LDM installation can't register service under SuSE Linux

re: check setting root permission on rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog

>Yes, I did all that, then checked it and checked it again. Most puzzling.

re: go back and start at the web link and work way through each step.

>Yep, that's how I double checked my installation.

re: the 5 is not an error code.

>OK.

re: look through the searchable online documentation

>OK. I had tried the email archives without having any luck with the search
>engine. Hadn't tried the ghldmdocs.html part.

>Worst part now is that I had a bad crash yesterday. I had mcidas open here
>at home and was working through the tutorial. Had Star Office open in another
>window to build some notes on a spreadsheet. Then the partition with my / ate
>itself. Wiped out inodes and goodness knows what. I was forced to reboot the
>machine since I couldn't even use Alt-F2 to get textline login. On reboot,
>the process did fsck and it autocorrected things by wiping out my /etc/shadow
>and /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab, among other things.

>I've built a new system in a large partition I had set aside for the rough
>and tumble world of data, music files, etc. From there, I've recovered a lot
>of my old /home. I recreated the users mcidas, mcadde, and ldm and have used
>those accounts to copy the old materials over, retaining permissions and
>ownerships in the process, I think. Haven't tried them out yet; still busy
>cleaning up/recovering other stuff.

>I'm disappointed that this happened the way it did. In my last system build,
>I had created separate partiions for /opt and for /var to provide a quieter,
>safer haven for the rest of /, such as /etc. Shouldn't have happened! Since
>/etc/passwd was mentioned as being deleted, I wonder if I might have had an
>intruder. I use TCP wrappers with only two sites allowed access, but that of
>course does not provide complete protection. Another possibility is a hard
>drive failure (bad sectors), but this drive has been in use only about 6
>months.

>Whatta neat day it was yesterday....  I'll have to get my system groomed
>again and check things out, but that is going to take a few days.

Jim