[IDV #IIB-384472]: topography surface is too tall

> Full Name: brian mapes
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_4.1\jre version: 1.6.0_43
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Why is the Tibetan Plateau twice as tall as the
> ~5000m high Z500 contours here,
> even as its color scale shows it should be about 5549 m at the top?
>
> How can I fix it?

Brian,
     The value range of the surface geopotential is from 51916 to 103116, and
no idea what is its unit. The resolution of the dataset is very low, I think
the GFS 0.5 degree dataset is much better if you just want some topography
field.

Yuan

> Do I need to write .ncml to give units to MERRA's surface geopotential field,
> and an official formula with metadata units handling, to change that to
> meters? (tedious) Or make a new dataset offline and store that on my RAMADDA?
>
> Or can I just fix it in IDV somehow, given that this will never change in
> time?
>
> Thanks!
> Brian

Ticket ID: IIB-384472