[IDV #LAM-672317]: possible memory issue in IDV

Gansham,

I am not able to duplicate OOME. I did see a perhaps related, smaller memory
problem with the ucar.unidata.util.CacheManager. I wrote a little ISL script to
loop through the loading of 50 satellite imagery bundles (each at a separate
time). The images are global, full resolution (4096 x 8192). I ran the IDV in
the Yourkit Java profiler with this ISL script. I noted after I ran the garbage
collector and cleared the cache (right-click on the clock to achieve this), the
CacheManager was still not empty (~150MB). I can observe the CacheManager's
unintentional object retention in the Yourkit profiler.

These days, there are open source, industrial strength caches that we can make
use of. I may explore the possibility of replacing CacheManager internals with
ehcache. But again, I am not able to reproduce the OOME.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> > Ghansham Sangar,
> >
> > Your Ticket has been received, and a Unidata staff member will review it
> > and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this new Ticket. Please
> > make sure the Ticket ID remains in the Subject: line on all correspondence
> > related to this Ticket.
> >
> >      Ticket ID: LAM-672317
> >      Subject: possible memory issue in IDV
> >      Department: Support IDV
> >

> > Please let us know how we can assist you further.
> >
> > Unidata User Support
> >
> R/Sir
>
> I have found similar behavior in IDV 4.0 (the official release) too...
>
> regards
> Ghansham

Ticket ID: LAM-672317