[IDV #JNA-984792]: Support for IDV in WRF EMS

Hi Bob!

> I would like to provide support for IDV in my next release of the WRF
> Environmental Modeling
> System (EMS); however, my IDV familiarity is very limited.  I would like to
> include the IDV
> support since the WRF EMS is being used at an increasing number of
> universities.  So my
> questions are:
>
> 1) Do I need to do anything special in providing IDV support?

I'm not sure what you mean by "support".  Do you want to answer
all the questions? ;-)  Out of the box, the IDV should handle
the EMS output.

> 2) What is the preferred data format for model fields?  The current WRF post
> processor
> outputs data in GRIB 1 format (which I believe IDV can view) although I can
> either reformat the GRIB files are write the fields out into another format
> (netCDF?)
> for IDV use.

We prefer the grib output on pressure levels.  There's not enough
info in the grib file to convert from sigma.  The netCDF grids
are our least favorite because they are staggered and then
we have to destagger them on the fly which is very compute
and memory intensive.

We can also read in the GEMPAK formatted files if that's an
option.  That allows sites that use GEMPAK to use that and IDV.

If you have other questions, stop by or give me a call.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: JNA-984792
Department: Support IDV