[IDV #IMF-703813]: imageserver

Hi Reinoud,

> I am testing the -imageserver option of IDV to see if I can use it as a
> backend (i.e. map drawing engine) for our WMS server (Mapserver). The idea is
> that I would translate a WMS request to either a bundle file or ISL script
> and to submit that to the imageserver.
>
> The problem is that I can hardly find any information about the -imageserver
> option apart from the Javadoc.
>
> So far I managed to generate a map in my browser by adding a "?bundle=..." to
> the URL. But the map always comes out with size 400x300 px.
>
> My general questions are:
> - can I control output image size?
> - can I control output projection?
> - can I control output format?
> - what GET arguments does the imageserver accept?

The imageserver facility is something we started in on some years ago but never
finished. However, server based generation of imagery is something we are
starting to work on this summer. We are in need of users who can help us figure
out the requirements, etc. Would you be willing to be involved in this effort?

One thing we are doing is providing support for the IDV to be used within a
Java-based server environment (e.g., Tomcat) instead of the standalone
imageserver approach. Do you run under Tomcat or does the imageserver based
approach work best in your environment?

As to the imageserver right now - you do need to supply a bundle= argument. The
IDV will load up the bundle and capture an image or a movie. I am adding some
quick fixes right now so that the IDV runs in offscreen mode (like in the ISL
context) and that you can specify width and height http arguments for the image
size. The projection is defined within the bundle itself though that can be
something we can look at supporting through external arguments.

Thanks,
Jeff

Ticket ID: IMF-703813
Department: Support IDV