[IDV #MWA-249923]: Exporting a NetCDF file

Hi Michael-

> Full Name: Michael Van Altena
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 2003
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files (x86)\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: * I used the Formula to generate a difference
> Color-Shaded layer from two NetCDF files,
> which appears to work fine.
> * I then want to export this data into a new NetCDF file. I right-click on
> the layer name in the
> legend, and select "Save As..." or "Export Displayed Data" (this window is
> preventing me
> from verifying the name).
>
> It generates a NetCDF file, however when I try to read it (in another
> program, or IDV) it
> appears to not be correctly formed.  I believe there is an issue with the
> variable names,
> as it appears to create only 3 variables: "Time" and
> "x[unit:km]_y[unit:km]_alti[unit:km]_ndx"
> and "O3[unit:ppmV]_10".

The problem is that you are saving only one slice out of the
entire volume.   Abstractly, this could be a horizontal slice
or a vertical slice, but the structure of the data gives
no indication which.  Therefore, the x,y,z values get merged
into a single dimension.  This function was added to help another
user who used IDL to restructure the data, but really only works
for volumes or true 2D slices.  Currently we don't have a way
to export nicely formated netCDF files (e.g. CF conventions),
but it's on our list of things to do.  The existing method
also loses all navigation information if the native coordinates
are not lat/lon.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MWA-249923
Department: Support IDV